Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #31
Heron

Thanks Sage ,

I appreciate the compliments . As I develop this thread there will be a few tricks that will apply to you people who do not have saguaros to work with . I think that I have come up with some god preservation techniques .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #32
Too Wild To Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonediver View Post
. . . some god preservation techniques .
I thought religious discussions weren't allowed here?
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #33
Heron

I for one would very interested in hearing about "god preservation techniques". It's pretty obvious you're in the desert so much of this really doesn't apply to my area, but I do so enjoy reading about your projects and your pictures. I'm always up for new well written information.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #34
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Can I chirp up.........
I have planted a few dead trees or snags myself. To be precise I favor the shape of the sumacs.
I dig a deep hole and insert a few large coffee cans (ends removed) one top of the other. I insert the bottom of the sumac tree into the cans and fill in the voids in and outside of the cans with gravel. I then wire the entire thing to the home to prevent wind damage. I use them for grapes or other vine supports. I like these way better than boughten trellises.

I do it this way thinking it will preserve their bases from rot that otherwise would happen if sunk into just plain soil. They last quite a few years.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #35
Pope

What a good idea, havalotta, and well thought through, as well. I think that sumac is a good choice, and the idea of the gravel and the coffee cans is inspired.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #36
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
That's a treasure you've got there! Way to go lonediver! It's quite impressive. What species will be attracted to it?

Only at a site like this will people truly appreciate what you are doing.

I agree! I am in such awe of your project. It is truly a beautiful snag!

...Yes, I can almost hear others viewing this site cheering you on as we view the pics of you 'replanting' it!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #37
Pope

I tried in vain to get him to enter a photo of his planted snags in the snag photo contest, but he was on sabbatical. I thought that the planted snags were inspired as well.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #38
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
I tried in vain to get him to enter a photo of his planted snags in the snag photo contest, but he was on sabbatical. I thought that the planted snags were inspired as well.
Every time I see a snag or sometimes hundreds at a time, I think of Lonediver having to go through all that to get one.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #39
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Can I chirp up.........
I have planted a few dead trees or snags myself. To be precise I favor the shape of the sumacs.
I dig a deep hole and insert a few large coffee cans (ends removed) one top of the other. I insert the bottom of the sumac tree into the cans and fill in the voids in and outside of the cans with gravel. I then wire the entire thing to the home to prevent wind damage. I use them for grapes or other vine supports. I like these way better than boughten trellises.

I do it this way thinking it will preserve their bases from rot that otherwise would happen if sunk into just plain soil. They last quite a few years.
Not bad Havalotta ,

10 brownie points and I take my index finger , lick it and mark a stroke through/in the air for you .

However , I've done you one better . In preparing my dead wood plantings , I take some medium/larger diameters of PVC or equivelent pipe . 12 inches usually or bigger in diameter as required . Usually 40 to 48 inches long . Dig a hole to almost that depth large enough to insert that now sleeve of pipe vertically into the hole first . Then tamping the dirt around the dirt around the earth as I backfill . Some inches from the top of the pipe , I fill the earthen well with water and allow to soak in . Repeat that step several times as the water is absorbed within the earten well . The interior of the pipe sleeve is still left empty .

After the water is absorbed, leave for sufficent time (a few days here) and allow the dirt to harden a bit . The dirts structure will cause the particles of earth once wet and as they dry to do a kind of "cementing" bond with each other . After you are satisfied that the vertical plastic pipe sleeve is bonded into position . It is now ready to accept your dead wood planting .

I usually put a few inches of earth into the bottom of the interior of the vertical pipe and put a disc of plastic on top of that so as to prevent any moisture conductivity from traveling upwards through the bottom of the pipe sleeve . Then I insert whatever is selected as a dead wood planting . Saguaro skeletons in a lot of my cases . But any dead tree/snag will do .

Once the tree is in the vertical sleeve ( the pipe needs to be sized so that the interior is perhaps 4 inches larger in interior diameter than the exterior diameter of the dead wood planting) start back filling smaller dirt particles , small gravel . Tamping with a heavy end of a metal pole if available . Take a piece of galvinized pipe and screw a cap on it , that will do , great tamping pole . Bring the backfill all the way to the top and slighly above . Slightly damp earth at this point . Mounding it around the base of the trunk so that it will shed water .

I always leave the pipe sleeve itself a few inches above the surrounding level earth . Usually I create a bit of a plant well . Then I can plant a ground cover or vine around the base so that the pipe will disapear from sight given time . I will follow this dialog with a photo essay in short order .

Pictures are worth a thousand words , so they say .

That is what lonediver has come up with . Your idea is somewhat similar Havalotta but steel cans rust . I do give you credit , you have done more than most . I just carry it to extreme .

P.S.

Thanks to everybody for kind compliments above .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #40
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I WILL be using some sort of plastic sleeves from now on....Yup, you one'd me up. Spit on finger and chalk mark in the air back to you...

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, dead wood, dead wood plantings, habitat, habitat conservation, habitat projects, how to, ironwood, living sculpture, natural arbor for vines, natural trellis, nature, plantings, projects, recycle dead trees, saguaro skeletons, snags, vertical woodpiles, wood