Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I can certainly see why you cannot use the back hoe. I wouldn't want to ruin what you have already either!
I didn't know you were installing a camera (Did I miss that?) Sounds like you've planned it quite well already.
Can't wait to see if they'll move in for you...
No , you did not miss it . I overlooked mentioning it as part of the plan . I have provided likewise already in two of the three owl habitats already . They are "camera ready" . Cameras not in any nest full time but by providing the vertical pipe/observation port at the time of construction allows for such to be done . Difficult if not impossible to do as a retrofit. This would be a " drop camera" that could/would be used , a camera on the end of a cable that can be lowered to a/the appropriate depth as needed/desired.
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oooooo Sound like you're in for a bit of fun!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Heron

Not giving up on this project , slowly accumulating the materials that I will try to use , stay tuned .

Anyone have any more ideas/input/suggestions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Fox den/burrow ?-p1290183.jpg   Fox den/burrow ?-p1290187.jpg  
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
Unicellular Fungi

The project appears to be well researched. I would have suggested native plantings to provide cover however I noted in a previous post that the area chosen has already been extensively planted with natives.

Exceptionally good planning lonediver.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
Carbon

Lonediver,

How is the fox den project coming along? I am planning on building a gray fox den on our property. I stumbled on your posts in this forum while googling for info on how to build one. Not much out there. Your plan seems pretty sound.

We have 2 adult females that we see regularly. One is pretty old and is not bearing young anymore, but she has in the past. The other has had a litter the last 2 years. We belive the younger one is a daughter. She had 3 kits this year and a den we know she used is a 6" PVC pipe that goes through one of our neighbor's barn foundation. It has 3 or 4 entrances. I don't believe there are any large chambers though. Also not sure if that's where the kits were born, or if she just moved them there after they were bigger. For a while, we thought she might have had them under our ground level deck, judging by the way the dogs acted for a few weeks. Could have been any kind of animal though. We'll never know for sure. We've had ringtails (not raccoons) before and that's the type of place they like.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

-jj
jjinatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #16

Welcome to the sight jjinatx! I just noticed you are new to the sight.
Any recent news on your fox family? Lonediver's off the air for a while so it may be some time until you hear back from him on building dens....He comes and goes....
We have quite a few fox dens on our property. I enjoy watching the kits frolic and play with each other. So comical sometimes.

There's an area here called introduce yourself please or something of the sort if you'd like to jump in there for starters...Lets the others know a little bit about you and you may be surprised what you learn about them too. Many like minded people here. Have you been out exploring the sight? It's full of info!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #17
Carbon

fox

To Lonediver and others who've taken an interest in this thread. I just wanted to update everyone on my progress building a fox den. I completed it a couple of months ago. I'll try to describe it as best I can, but please post questions if something is not clear.

The site I chose to build it on is a natural depression, probably from where a large tree was uprooted decades ago. It is on a slight slope, not a low lying area, so does not collect water. The site is such that we can observe it easily without being seen.

The materials I used are two 5' sections of 6" diameter PVC drain pipe (the green stuff), the top third of a plastic 55 gallon drum and miscellaneous 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings. We chose the 6" diameter pipe because we have observed our foxes going in and out the same size pipe in the foundation of a neighbor's barn.

I cut off the top third of a white plastic 55 gallon drum. I left the plug in one of the 2" bung holes. The plugs have a 3/4" pipe threaded depression and I cut out this opening in the other plug. I used this hole to screw in a 3/4" PVC pipe fitting and section of pipe to create a vent pipe on top. I left it extra long enough to stick up through the dirt I would be covering the den with.

Next, I cut 2 holes in the sides of the piece of drum to accommodate the 2 sections of 6" pipe. I positioned the holes about 160 degrees apart to fit in with the terrain around the site. This gives the foxes 2 entrance/exits separated by about 12 or 13 feet.

Next I cleared out rocks and sticks from the bottom of the depression so the foxes would be comfy. I then placed the drum section in the depression. I stuck the pipes into the openings and checked them with a 4' level. I made sure they were sloped slightly downhill from the den to make sure no water would run in. Then, I carefully shoveled dirt around the base of the drum and the pipes to hold them in place in preparation for burying the den.

With the den now firmly in place, I used my front end loader to cover it over with about a cubic yard of soil. I managed to scoop up a twist leaf yucca along with native sod to go on the top layer, so the den has a natural outward appearance. The final step was to cut the air vent pipe to length and install an upside down "U" made of two 3/4" PVC elbows and a short piece of pipe. This makes the air vent waterproof. I did not glue the segments together. I wanted to have a way of possibly placing a tiny camera in the den in the future, without having to dismantle the den.

I hope I made a nice comfy den so mama fox will keep the kits at home this spring. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll report back when we see definite signs that the den is occupied. Wish me luck. We haven't staked it out yet, but we have noticed one of the female foxes coming from that area a few days within the last week around dusk.
jjinatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #18

Sounds Wonderful! Wish you luck and hope to see photos of its progress in the future.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

jjinatx,

It sounds like you have been BUSY.

I'd love to see fox on our property...at least you are ahead of me there. Hopefully they'll adopt the den you created for them. Good luck!

We will love to hear your progress...and, of course, we all love pictures (or video from your future "den cam"!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, artifcial den, burrows, den making, den or burrow, fox, fox burrow, fox den, foxes, habitat, how to, kits, make a den, san joaquin kit foxes, sonora desert museum, vixen, vulpes macrotis mutica, wildlife, wildlife structures