Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Heron

Consider a rope saw :

KwikCut 32" Rope Saw

Not necessarily the one I linked to but some have open ends where a longer piece of rope can be attached to either end . Then by casting/throwing one end of the/a rope with a wieght can be pulled over a branch . Such saws are common at hiking stores . Kind of a survival item when out in the woods where one cannot pack a regular saw . In the case of misteltoe the branches/attachments are not very thick .

A second tool to be considered would be a pole type fruit picker basket ;

http://www.amazon.com/Jaffrey-Fruit-Picker-Harvester/dp/B0013E6CU4
ANTOnline.com - Ames 2325100 Ames 8' Fruit Picker W/handle

Long Reach Pruners, Pole Pruner Head, Fruit Picker, Extension Poles for work in difficult-to-reach Areas

or a pole saw . You are the limit of your imagination .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Pope

The trees I see with mistletoe could exceed even those exceptional tools, I think. That and the fact that no mistletoe seems to be on my property. But there are a few
'patches' that I have been watching for a few winters, so maybe I can get a neighbor to "harvest" some for me. Extra yee haws all around.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #23
Heron

Depending on how good your aim is a grappling hook ( avast me hearties) were'nt/are'nt there a few pirate types around on the Chesapeake ? Even a crook pole .

http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Grappling-Hook-Ninja-Gear/dp/B0009PGVG8
Shepherd's Crook with 8' Pole - Metro Lifeguard Shop

Similar to what is common around swimming pools . There are many that LOOOOooooooooong extending poles .
Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

"I meant to tell you how it is "harvested" here, by shotgun. Yee haw." I like her way of harvesting better. Sounds like more fun and she can get some much needed "Extra yee haws all around."
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
"I meant to tell you how it is "harvested" here, by shotgun. Yee haw." I like her way of harvesting better. Sounds like more fun and she can get some much needed "Extra yee haws all around."
Here I was under the misconception that you liked trees . Tree killer !

"He who dies with the most trees wins, native of course"
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #26
Official Plant Nerd

That's me... the buckthorn killer. Yee ha!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #27
Pope

You all are too funny. Actually, there were lots of pirates in this very neighborhood. The marshes made excellent hiding places. I'd really like to get out for some target practice...maybe someday I'll take the yee haw route (not to worry--it's just a little tree-trimming, no dendrocide contemplated).
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #28
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
You all are too funny. Actually, there were lots of pirates in this very neighborhood. The marshes made excellent hiding places. I'd really like to get out for some target practice...maybe someday I'll take the yee haw route (not to worry--it's just a little tree-trimming, no dendrocide contemplated).
A little yee hawing can be fun . For a time I worked as a driller on a big drill with a powder crew at a copper mine here in my younger days . It was a sight to watch the results of our work . BOOOOOOMMMM ! ! ! Tossing dynamite around can be fun .

Tags
berries, misteltoe, mistletoe, mistletoe berries, mistletoe propagation, native plants, planting mistletoe, propagation