Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Wildlife crossing road...

First watch the slide show then check the picture gallery. Great examples, now if we can just slow expansion and traffic...gloria

Wildlife and Roads: A Resource to Help Mitigate Roads for Wildlife
Wildlife and Roads: Photo Gallery
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Heron

Cool. I liked the wolverine overpass the best. More attractive than a culvert. But they all seem to work.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

badger

I loved this so much I fell asleep with the image of the two badgers in my head. I never expected to see two badgers showing up in the photos. I don't know why they were unexpected but there they were. Way cool Gloria.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
A Bee's Best Friend

milkweed,isn't that great,an overpass with growing vegetation to give the animals cover. With sound barriers or fences along so many roads even if the animals could cross the multi-lane traffic many have effectively been kept off sides. I hope states building new roads or doing extensive repairs are incorporating these ideas. With you-tube there are so many heart breaking videos of animals trying to cross.

Equil, the badgers did have presence didn't they. I also liked the strutting turkeys.I wonder if there is any evidence of snakes and other amphibians using a crossing? I have seen so many squashed snakes while hiking.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Mentor

There is an underpass (unintentional but usually dry) near some snake habitat. I've been wanting for some time to set traps at both sides (one first, then the other) of the underpass to determine is snakes are using it to cross an otherwise impassable (very busy) highway. Snakes and amphibians can be funneled into such passes using aluminum flashing or other barriers which they will follow against until they find a passage.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

There's lots of "evidence" aphibians are using them... when they're designed and sited properly. Some amphibians only breed in vernal pools. Cut off their access to the breeding ground by building a road and they're screwed. More of this going on out east than by us which is a bummer. We've got vernal pond obligates getting turned into road pancakes trying to get to their breeding grounds too!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
A Bee's Best Friend

Hiking a wildlife corridor.

Wildlife Corridor of the Month: Centennial/Beaverhead on Vimeo

and

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/278594...orridor_trail/
Old 02-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
A Bee's Best Friend

Grizz crossing...video

Freedom to Roam - Wildlife Crossing Structures - Grizzly Bear

Research cameras capturing the use of wildlife crossing structures under the TransCanada Highway in Banff National Park. Mitigation measures like this have reduced the traffic-related mortality of large mammals on the TCH by more than 80%. The wire snags hair samples to collect DNA and does not harm the animals.

articles...

Patagonia - Freedom to Roam - Wildlife Corridors that Work

http://pathwayswc.wordpress.com/

http://www.physorg.com/news179683230.html
Old 02-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

The Red Rock Pass video was superb. The commentary provided while they hiked along the ridge was more than enough to whet my appetite.

Tags
crossing, habitat, red rock pass, road, road crossing, roads wildlife and roads, transcanada highway, underpass, wildlife, wildlife corridor, wildlife crossing, wildlife crossing structures, wildlife habitat