Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Heron

Default Building burrowing owl habitat .

When I moved into my area some 40 - 50 miles SW of Phoenix , Arizona , I found that there was some native burrowing owls on vacant parcels adjacent to my own . One started a nest just within my property line ( Like 2 feet inside ) . I intended to build a fence so I contacted a raptor rescue group called " Wild At Heart " , they were kind enough to send me instructions on how to go about building artifical habitat for them ;

http://mirror-pole.com/

Another link that I posted elsewhere and will do again here that is done by the State of Washington Game and Fish tells more of these creatures ;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/owlcam/b_owl.html

Not sure how this is going to turn out But I have attached a few pics of the building of the last habitat built . It is to be an 8 cluster unit . The nests themselves are 5 gallon buckets from home depot . These are connected to the surface with 4 inch corrugated drain tubing . The kind with slits in them not solid wall tubing to allow for drainage .

In nature these owls ( which by the way are the only ones to nest in the ground , also are something like the third smallest owl ) would normally take over another animals burrow . Here they take over old ground squirel nests/tunnels . They lack the ability to build/start thier own but can enlarge on others nests . Later I will show some pics on the difference between ground squirel opening and a owl opening . The digging was a large central trench to nearly a 5 foot depth something like 16 feet long . Then on the ends , were dug down at a 45 degree angle so as to come from the bucket nests to the surface . Four of these angled trenches were done so two tubes/tunnels came up each one . From overhead the trenching would resemble kind of an "H " pattern .

( It is getting late here , if you all are interested this can continue on at another time )
Attached Thumbnails
Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4256.jpg   Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4257.jpg   Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4254.jpg  
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Unicellular Fungi

I'm interested, very interested.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Big Fat juicy WORM

This is amazing, thanks for sharing the information, lonediver.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

What I will say is that NO ONE will be disappointed if he spells out what he did from start to finish. His photos of the owls are priceless.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I lived in Fort Myers for over twenty years and one year the library grounds and a bunch of burrowing owl nests. The area was snuggled between residences and county land including sports fields.

Bird people and photographers came from all over the world and set up there to get pictures! The owls are so adorable and I have some film shots of them somewhere.

The burrowing owls also nest in Cape Coral.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Heron

A site that you all might enjoy that is dedicated to owls , the link that I am providing is to thier page on burrowing owls . From it you can learn more details of the burrowing owls and other owls .

http://owling.com/Burrowing.htm

Here is a range map and other details and yes Sage there is a sub-group of them in Florida .

http://owling.com/Burrowing_nh.htm

For the sake of expedience I am going to post a link here to a different group where I posted a set of directions as to how to go about building artical burrowing owl habitat that was provideed to me by Wild At Heart .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/-806679/#post_4597964

Another post I did there where there is a few pics where I caught multiples of them out at my habitat .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/-925529/
Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
Heron

Something else I meant to bring up about these neat creatures . They are in effect " farmers " . Something that I have seen and observed of them is that when available to them is that they will gather mammal dung/manure so as to attract anthropod insects , a food source for them . they will deposit it in thier tunnels and often times in a semi circle around the entrance of thier burrows . A few articles citing this practice ;

http://ag.arizona.edu/research/azfwr...r_73_65-73.pdf

http://www.livescience.com/animals/0...wl_manure.html

And people sometimes refer to animals as dumb ?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Heron

Here is some pics that I said that I would post . A soda pop can was used to give a sense of scale , a standard 12 ounce can . The first two pics are of a ground squirel burrow which is what the burrowing owl will most commonly take over here for a natural nest . When the can is inserted in the entrance , it does not quite fit . It will not go down the hole/tunnel .

In the second two pics , the can can actually be stood up in the tunnel . This is a natural burrowing owl nest here .
Attached Thumbnails
Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4303.jpg   Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4306.jpg   Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4304.jpg   Building burrowing owl habitat .-dcp_4305.jpg  
Old 01-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

The burrowing owls are so tiny. It's good you put the pop can in the photos.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Heron

Amazing, just amazing.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling. ~Mirabel Osler

LadySapphire22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buidling burrows, building, burrow, burrowing, burrowing habitat, burrowing owl habitat, burrowing owls, desert, habitat, how to, how to build a burrow, owl, owl habitat, owl habitate, owls, southwest desert