Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Default People Who Steal Plants

I didn't know where to post this.

All day I've been trying to find the words to express how happy I am that Lowes is selling native plants like Trilliums, Hepatica, Trout Lily, Blood Root and dozens of others at exorbitantly low prices. For less than $2 you can own a Trillium that other growers easily sell for $7 to $20.

But then I thought to hell with Lowes. I should be thanking the provider. The seed packet only reads "Botanical Wonders" and has no contact information. I haven't gone to Lowes yet but instead I googled it... and found nothing. So I tried again, this time adding "nursery" to the end. And this conversation on another forum came up Garden Web.

Their description is accurate. The stand is indoors at Lowes and has what really does look like 500 or so little plastic packets of plants in there. And they all are plants that survive in full shade, something desperately needed in most garden stores. But then one has to think about how sustainable this is. A couple hundred Trillium grandiflorum being supplied to every Lowes store must have come from somewhere. And people on that forum point out that's far more than any grower has been able to produce. And they're pretty accurate.

(Trillium seeds take two years for seeds to germinate. After that the first year's growth is a simple blade of grass and nothing more, The second year of green growth produces only two little leaves and nothing more. The third year of green growth produces a small cluster of three leaves, hence the name Trillium. From here on out they could bloom on the following year but many might not bother doing so for another four years later. That's 5 to 9 years for a single plant to flower! And Trilliums are mono-floral, meaning if they're picked they won't flower again for another two years! And even after they're transplanted they'll skip a year of blooming to reestablish themselves. On the packets they even read "May not grow or bloom until the second year")

So the way this scam works is growers will buy a plot of land. Then they'll have people rummage through and pick all the plants there. These will be raised at the nursery for a short while so they can be labeled as "Nursery Grown." Once their foraging of the land is done they sell the land to contractors for equal or grater the amount.

Firstly I want to say that if they want to harvest the land of plants they're going about it the wrong way. There are native plant salvage programs that go in to areas scheduled to be developed and save the plants before they get paved over. That is the ethical thing to do.

Secondly it's hard to believe if anyone is doing the scam as written above that their selection is so limited. Only three types of Trillium: T. grandiflorum, T. luteum, and one of the red Sessile species? Only two types of fern? And a single type of every other plant they sell. These people are botanical idiots if that's all they're finding.

The Third problem I see is assuming they are foraging the land like this, Why don't they sell them for the exorbitant amount of money Trilliums usually go for? You don't mine gold and sell it for cheaper than the bank, right? Also if you're getting such a huge supply in then why not keep them in the nursery? In only a few years they could be producing T. grandiflorum to compete with the Tulips.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Crazy! I would bet though that they don't even buy the land. They probably rent it. There are people who rent acreage, plow it up, then get government subsidies to NOT GROW a certain crop. How many times do you pass by land plowed up and never give a thought to the fact that nothing ever grows there? Someone I know actually rented his extra land this way knowing this.

The renter gets subsidies for doing virtually nothing; the land owner gets income for his unsold land. Perfect plan.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Nursery grown to me basically means they can go out and collect from the wild, pop thousands of plants that were stripped from our lands into little pots, grow them out in a nursery for 12 months... then sell them to the unsuspecting public labeled as "nursery grown". It's decepetive packaging as far as I'm concerned and they're counting on the buying public not differentiating between the words propagated and grown. The collection of native plants for re-sale places a tremendous strain on our native plant ecosystems. Nursery propagated is generally safe. It generally indicates the plant being sold was grown from cultivated stock and not wild collected. One toss in comment... we don't have a labeling law requiring companies to disclose their sources of plant material.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Mentor

They don't even buy the land around here, they will just go onto any property--public or private and steal plants. I've even seem them right along the highway with shovels in broad daylight digging up plants and loading them up. That's why I would only buy from nurseries which I know are growing their own plants legitimately.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I had one woman and her friend digging up plants on my property about 50' to the right of my driveway. She had a shovel and her friend dutifully held the bucket. They were coming out of the ground real easy since I had just planted them. When I stopped her she told me she could dig them up because it was forest preserve property. I told her it was private property and that even if it wasn't you can't go and take what ever you want. I pointed to the house at the end of the driveway and asked her is she hadn't seen that. She apologized and made an attempt to stick it back in the ground tapping around it with her foot. Next week, they were all gone. Gee... I wonder who stole them. I was monitoring some orchids. One week they were there... the next week they were gone. I could go on. Native plants have come way down in price. I don't know why there are so many people who steal. It's not like the orchids had a chance of living where ever they were transplanting them.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

I wonder if roping your property off with signs warning about the "West Nile Virus" and "how contaminated your property is with it" wouldn't help detour this.

Even something that says "You're on Camera" might help.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

We have cameras. They only cover close up around the house and by a pond. That's how we caught the kids cutting school having skinny dipping parties for days on end leaving beer cans and food wrappers all over the place throwing rocks at turtles. Video cams don't hit that far to the front. The big help for us was the sign that says our dogs can make it to the lot line in 5 seconds, can you? The other big help was walking our dogs way out front and not picking up the poops. Leaving a bunch of them there all the time helps because you can tell the dogs that made them aren't tea cup poodles. Great Danes and Mastiffs leave cow piles. They're pretty noticeable. We used to walk the dogs and pick up the poops immediately but not any more. I still lose plants out front but not in back anymore. Nobody wants to come that close to the house.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
Mentor

Get a sign that says "If you can read this, then you're in range" and stick it at the edge of the property. You're nicer than I am, I would've made the lady wait for the sheriff rather than letting her leave. People are a lot less likely to try a second time if they've had to deal with the law. On the other hand, if she has an interest in plants then she's a possible convert... maybe she should be forced to join wildones to perform her community service hours.
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I don't know what to say. The lady is a pig. I'm ok with losing plants. Not ok with losing kids. I had driven around the bus stops trying to figure out where they were coming from and who they were. I never could figure out who they were. The kids kept coming back but they did start picking up their litter to make it look like they had never been there. Throwing stones at turtles upset me, it's cruel. The litter was slovenly but... liquor and bare butt teens in water is unhealthy and could result in floaters. I talked to them the next time I was home that they snuck on the property. The boys all but smirked. The girls did look a little uneasy when I told them to have a little bit more respect for their bodies. They were all but blowing me off until I pointed up to an oak tree and held out a dvd. That got their attention. I told them I knew who they all were...I had no idea but bluffed... and I knew where they all lived....another blufff... and that I was once young but the next time they came back I was sharing the tapes with the parents of the girls. They haven't been back since. Bluff worked. I know there aren't a lot of "fun" places for teens to go these days but... no way no how do I want a kid drowning while we're at work. Dead plant... fine. Dead kid... I've got to sleep with myself.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
WG Guardian Spirit

You're kinder than I am. I would have been meeting with the high school principal with my DVD in hand.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
people, plants, steal