Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Pope

Default Shoreline restoration

Yesterday I visited a shoreline restoration project and took these photos. The site is on the Miles River in Maryland, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. It is a tidal area.

I don't know what the grasses are (wish I did), but the strings are to keep the canada geese from landing and eating everything in sight.
Attached Thumbnails
Shoreline restoration-wetrestore1.jpg   Shoreline restoration-wetrestore2.jpg  
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quite the project! Now I see how the strings work.................Good idea for the geese. Now how do we keep them off of already existing lawns?
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I have some photos of a shoreline restoration but... they're not as detailed as yours. These do work to keep those darn geese out while plants are establishing. Good phoots. havalotta, Goose Recipes - Schiltz Goose Farm & Schiltz Foods
Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sooooooooooooooooooo I get the hint!
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #5
Heron

Do you know the history of Miles River? What happened to it that it needed to be restored?

By the way Hederowe, I love your flower! Its like talking to a smiling face.
milkweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

Nice restoration pics.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Pope

Milkweed, I do not know the history of the Miles, but it's a good question and I will look into it (you've gotten me curious).

I cannot take credit for the flower photo; it was taken by a friend. I love it too.

And I have been known to smile from time to time.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Salamander

My guess is Spartina.

There's a company in St. Michaels, MD that propagates Spartina and other emergent natives for restoration/biologs, etc. You just missed their plant sale!

Environmental Concern:
Environmental Concern
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Pope

Thanks Teresa; you are probably correct about the Spartina. I'm only now beginning to learn about wetlands plants.

Actually, I went to Environmental Concern the same day that I took the shoreline restoration photos. It's an impressive operation; I'm thinking of putting together an order for pick up later this summer. Do you go there much?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Grub

I wonder how long it took to construct the goose barrier! Looks rather detailed! It is a sad situation on the east coast with geese. The poor Atlantic population was decimated because their numbers were masked by the millions of giants. They have been pushed out of the best staging areas, and the major loss of habitat is another factor. So there isn't much they can do down on the eastern shore. The harvests have to be set low to protect the AP, but at the same time the giants are just out of control. The same thing is happening here in the Mississippi Valley population, and I have desperately been trying to get that point across for the past couple of years. But I digress. Canada goose research is my specialty. I love geese. I could have a hundred of them in my yard and not care.
trillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration, shoreline