Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Fox

Default Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest

"Harmony Hardwoods" is an old growth hardwood forest located on the Harmony Arboretum in Marinette County, WI. We went for a walk through this forest last week.

This parcel of land is not managed for forest products. The trees are left to live out their natural lives. The result is some huge specimens of basswood, beech, oak, maple, ash and hemlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-basswood.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-beech.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-oak-1.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-oak.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-oak-2.jpg  

I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
Fox

Fallen/dead trees are left to naturally decompose; creating some interesting microecosystems of their own.

If you are ever in the area, it's definitely worth a visit!
Attached Thumbnails
Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-dead-tree.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-fallen-tree.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-decaying-logs.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-decaying-logs-3.jpg   Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-decaying-logs-2.jpg  

Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

The sight is very nice! I think it is one of the few areas to have survived the Peshtigo fire!
It's good to see a human in the photos to give some perspective on the size of the trees. I would advise going early in the season as you will travel through some open fields to get there and they become quite hot mid summer.
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
WG Writer

Looks like home! I grew up in a woods similar to that in Wexford, Co. Michigan. There were lots of traces still of the Indians who hunted there prehistorically. The decomposing old hardwoods left open patches of moss.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Beautiful. Absolutely breathtaking and beautiful.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Looks like home! I grew up in a woods similar to that in Wexford, Co. Michigan. There were lots of traces still of the Indians who hunted there prehistorically. The decomposing old hardwoods left open patches of moss.
There is something about a woods like this that has a feeling of stepping back in time. Maybe it's because trees look bigger when you're a kid, I don't know, but I definitely felt it. There is also something about being dwarfed by nature and not being afraid of it.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #7

It's overpowering yet you feel safe inside under its caressing,soothing, swaying branches.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
WG Writer

I especially like being in the deep woods when its snowing. There are only a few other brave critters and you will see their tracks, but it was like my personal very own space.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #9

Harmony Hardwoods - Old Growth Hardwood Forest-dscf3062.jpg

Just out for a stroll.

Tags
forest, growth, hardwood, hardwoods, harmony, harmony hardwoods, old growth, snags, trees