Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default NV- Study: Grazing Threatens Wildlife Habitat In West

Study: Grazing Threatens Wildlife Habitat In West
Study Says Livestock Grazing Threatens Most Wildlife Habitats On Federal Land In West
Reno, Nev., May. 1, 2009

Study: Grazing Threatens Wildlife Habitat In West - CBS News
excerpts from above:
Quote:
Using satellite mapping and federal records, WildEarth Guardians began a study last year matching wildlife habitat and U.S. grazing allotments across more than 260 million acres of federal land in the West.
Quote:
"The results confirm _ in graphic form _ previous research finding that incessant, ubiquitous public lands grazing has contributed to the decline of native wildlife," concludes the report entitled "Western Wildlife Under Hoof." The report is scheduled to be released Friday.
Quote:
Cattle and sheep trample vegetation, damage soil, spread invasive weeds, spoil water and deprive native wildlife of forage, the report said. It notes that then-Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt said in 2005 that livestock grazing "is the most damaging use of public land."
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I have always wanted livestock removed from the lands we're all paying taxes on. I'm totally looking forward to this Western Wildlife Under Foot article they mentioned.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Big Fat juicy WORM

Quote:
Cattle and sheep trample vegetation, damage soil, spread invasive weeds, spoil water and deprive native wildlife of forage, the report said. It notes that then-Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt said in 2005 that livestock grazing "is the most damaging use of public land."
Jeez, yet another duh! ya think?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccat5 View Post
Jeez, yet another duh! ya think?

In the old days there were fewer cattle and no one around to care.

There's a guy in South Dakota who is definately into conservation. He's sold his cattle years ago and installed bison.

His writings tell how the land has been reborn with bison. Bison utilize the land in accordance with the natural 'laws' of the land. The bison don't ruin the vegetation, nor do they pollute the creeks by breaking down the soil to erode into the waterways.

With bison he says his land has been literally recreated. Various bird and animal species have returned. Plant life has stabilized and returned to pre-cattle vigor. It is an inspiring record of someone who has a vision and has done something right.

If you're into red meat vote for bison and against cattle by purchasing products from someone like this guy. The more we support operations that are sustainable or in fact supportive of our natural world the less cattle we'll see running on so called public lands.
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
WG Facebook Administrator

I'm a near-vegetarian now ("pescetarian" - veg, dairy, eggs + fish & seafood), but years ago I had bison chili, and it was goood. Didn't taste "wild" like most venison at all. Elk is tasty too.
amelanchier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
I'm a near-vegetarian now ("pescetarian" - veg, dairy, eggs + fish & seafood), but years ago I had bison chili, and it was goood. Didn't taste "wild" like most venison at all. Elk is tasty too.

I like eating meat but will NOT purchase commercially produced products. So that's how I discovered the bison ranch I mentioned above. Their animals are 100% grass pasture grazed. Never in feedlots and not fed grain. They even field dress them so they NEVER are stampeded in an adrenaline panic into slaughter trucks.

The guy who raises them has his act together. Some of the local native american folks come and bless the bison prior to harvest (killing). It's an operation I can support and feel confident about the animals good lives. To me it's a win-win situation all around.

Donna in Nebraska
Old 05-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
Salamander

Quote:
Don Kirby, president of the Society for Range Management and director of North Dakota State University's School of Natural Resource Sciences, said livestock grazing is an important part of a "landscape management toolbox" that can be used to reduce wildfires and improve wildlife habitat.

"Western rangelands and the wildlife species that live there have coexisted with grazing by large herbivores for tens of thousands of years," Kirby said.
It amazes me how much garbage they can spout, and yet people believe it. It's as though, by saying it, they make it true.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
WG Staff

Notice how carefully he worded that?
Welfare Ranching: Where Bison Once Roamed

Although Bison and Elk were large herbivores present prior to European colonization, cattle and sheep weren't.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Heron

not to mention that these ranchers graze their destructive beasts on public land for far, far under the market value....
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiefreak View Post
not to mention that these ranchers graze their destructive beasts on public land for far, far under the market value....
And beat up the land 'like a rented mule.' Without a stake in the land, abuse is much easier. Renting is much less of a care than owning.

Donna in Nebraska

Tags
grazing, habitat, study, threatens, west, wildlife