Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Giant Brush Pile

Over the years, I have removed invasive shrubs (mostly multiflora rose and honeysuckle) and used them (with larger fallen limbs) to create various brush piles in different spots on our two acres. A couple of years ago, I made an enormous one.

This year, I added to it-- probably 10 feet to a 30 foot pile.

I had no plans for this section and didn't want to mow it...now I am battling mugwort in that area (and elsewhere). So I will be mowing and smothering around it.

It provides for wildlife and makes less work for me. And...I believe the population of yellow throated sparrows has increased quite a bit in our area.
Giant Brush Pile-psx_20200417_114922.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Over the years, I have removed invasive shrubs (mostly multiflora rose and honeysuckle) and used them (with larger fallen limbs) to create various brush piles in different spots on our two acres. A couple of years ago, I made an enormous one.

This year, I added to it-- probably 10 feet to a 30 foot pile.

I had no plans for this section and didn't want to mow it...now I am battling mugwort in that area (and elsewhere). So I will be mowing and smothering around it.

It provides for wildlife and makes less work for me. And...I believe the population of yellow throated sparrows has increased quite a bit in our area.
Attachment 46582
I also do the very same thing! Yesterday and the day before I pulled out numerous rose bushes that had grown up last summer when I wasn't here. I don't believe there is another rose bush of the Japanese variety left on my property now. I did use herbicide on the stumps of the larger ones that I wasn't entirely able to remove. Now if I could get my neighbors to get rid of theirs!!! At any rate, I have a huge brush pile that I've built up over the years, but each year I notice it shrinks considerably. i've actually been able to use the same huge brush pile for about twenty years without it getting too large to throw things onto the top, though it has spread out a bit. Lots of birds live in there, but I made the mistake of placing it too closely to the veggie garden, and I think other critters that like what I grow live in there, ha ha!!! I'm a big believer in brush piles. I have a smaller on by my bird feeders, and it gives shelter to the chipmunks, red squirrels and all kinds of birds that I see going in and out of it as they finish at the feeder. Surely a great way to attract and house critters on one
's property!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've always had a pile but now it's gone and I haven't a clue as to where I can create another one.
It was behind a couple big evergreens out back but mother nature took it all out when the water rose last fall Grrrrr
We had to fill the area in with 7-8 dump truck loads of riprap to protect the eroding shoreline.

Lots of little critters had used it. My favorite were the fox and possums. I so enjoyed watching them.... now it is no more.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
Hippie Gardener

We have a couple of piles in the back yard. We add to them throughout the year, but also end up using some of the brush for kindling when we use our fire pit.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I also do the very same thing! Yesterday and the day before I pulled out numerous rose bushes that had grown up last summer when I wasn't here. I don't believe there is another rose bush of the Japanese variety left on my property now. I did use herbicide on the stumps of the larger ones that I wasn't entirely able to remove. Now if I could get my neighbors to get rid of theirs!!! At any rate, I have a huge brush pile that I've built up over the years, but each year I notice it shrinks considerably. i've actually been able to use the same huge brush pile for about twenty years without it getting too large to throw things onto the top, though it has spread out a bit. Lots of birds live in there, but I made the mistake of placing it too closely to the veggie garden, and I think other critters that like what I grow live in there, ha ha!!! I'm a big believer in brush piles. I have a smaller on by my bird feeders, and it gives shelter to the chipmunks, red squirrels and all kinds of birds that I see going in and out of it as they finish at the feeder. Surely a great way to attract and house critters on one
's property!!!
Great minds think alike.

I should try a small brushpile near where I feed the birds--but, that would be close to my vegetable garden.

I want to start watching more and taking pictures of what wildlife comes to make use of the pile.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I've always had a pile but now it's gone and I haven't a clue as to where I can create another one.
It was behind a couple big evergreens out back but mother nature took it all out when the water rose last fall Grrrrr
We had to fill the area in with 7-8 dump truck loads of riprap to protect the eroding shoreline.

Lots of little critters had used it. My favorite were the fox and possums. I so enjoyed watching them.... now it is no more.

I'm so sorry that you lost it...and all of the critters it attracted. I hope you can come up with something.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
We have a couple of piles in the back yard. We add to them throughout the year, but also end up using some of the brush for kindling when we use our fire pit.
I am sure I will have to add to my piles, too. It is surprising how quickly they shrink--although I have one from years back that decayed down to a smaller lile, but is far from decayed. I have stopped adding to it, because I want to start llsntjngbthings there...now im.waiting for it to shrink down!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I am sure I will have to add to my piles, too. It is surprising how quickly they shrink--although I have one from years back that decayed down to a smaller lile, but is far from decayed. I have stopped adding to it, because I want to start llsntjngbthings there...now im.waiting for it to shrink down!
Because you want to start what???

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
Oh ya....fire pit!!! I've never had one but while I was at the camp for the past couple days for a lil breather here I got to thinking and decided.... Since I can't rebuild a brush pile behind the pines where riprap now sits .... I'll build myself a fire pit in front of.... the pines as our division surely wouldn't want to look at a what they probably call a yucky brush pile.

Instead of a critter friendly brush pile I'll have myself some down time (What's that ?) burning debri and..... While shoveling gravel and rocks back into place I noticed some pretty awesome little caves in the new riprap. THOSE I'm leaving for the critters and...intend upon letting some brush grow up in front of them for critter security.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Because you want to start what???
I was thinking the same thing!!!!

Tags
brush, giant, pile