Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Habitat (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/habitat/)
-   -   My Pond in Winter (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/habitat/13404-my-pond-winter.html)

dapjwy 01-07-2020 07:51 PM

My Pond in Winter

3 Attachment(s)
It took me way too long to finally dig Phase II* of my pond ...and I have yet to disguise more than a small fraction of the liner...but, by cropping the photos, one can just enjoy the beauty of the ice and water.

I took a video, too...but not sure how to add it.
Attachment 46461

Attachment 46462

Attachment 46463
*"Phase I" was a small pond put in 8 years ago or so.

dapjwy 01-07-2020 08:13 PM

I figured out how to add a video to my blog--it is small,but can be viewed here if you like:

https://nativeplantenthusiast.blogsp...inter.html?m=0

havalotta 01-08-2020 11:24 AM

Artsy creative and beautiful

dapjwy 01-10-2020 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 161955)
Artsy creative and beautiful

Thank you.

I long to finish creating a beautiful, natural-looking shoreline...that will not require cropping my photos. :)

NEWisc 01-10-2020 03:13 PM

The water in the video seems to be flowing, wasn't there a stream element to your water feature?

Should be fun this summer as the wildlife begins to accept your pond as a natural part of the landscape!

Are you thinking about adding any water plants?

dapjwy 01-12-2020 06:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWisc (Post 161958)
The water in the video seems to be flowing, wasn't there a stream element to your water feature?

Should be fun this summer as the wildlife begins to accept your pond as a natural part of the landscape!

Are you thinking about adding any water plants?

Right now, I have the pump and recirculating part just sitting on the shallow end pouring into the deep end. I still have to dig out a stream and several pools for water to fall into on it's way to the larger pond. This is what I have been calling Phase III for years now. Phase IV is to create a wetland.

Here is the (ugly) temporary setup I have now.

At least the frogs don't seem to mind.

As for plants, last fall I got the native water lily...and I plan emergent plants (like arrowhead and pickerel rush, among others)...I would like some underwater natives, too. And some native fish.

Attachment 46464

Attachment 46465

Attachment 46466

...and, yes, I am excited for wildlife to accept this more each year. They seem to have checked it out even when it was just a hole in the ground--if I find photos. I'll post some.

NEWisc 01-14-2020 04:35 PM

It always amazes me how the wildlife finds a pond, especially the amphibians. I find myself asking 'Where is the water habitat that they came from, and how did they make the journey?'.

jack 01-14-2020 05:45 PM

Dap, pictures look great!!!

dapjwy 01-14-2020 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWisc (Post 161964)
It always amazes me how the wildlife finds a pond, especially the amphibians. I find myself asking 'Where is the water habitat that they came from, and how did they make the journey?'.

I agree. I think they showed up after a rainy night.

Also, my pond is on a slope; it is uphill from the field below us--that is bordered by a large stream quite a distance away.

I remember water striders showing up immediately! That shocked me--I did not realize that they can fly.

dapjwy 01-14-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack (Post 161965)
Dap, pictures look great!!!

Thank you, jack.

I long to finish disguising the liner, adding a streambed, several spillways, and a waterfall or two. :) Then, just wait to see what pictures I take! :) :) :)

I just hope I can complete it before too long.