Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default The man who claims trees talk with other trees

Of course, long time members here already know this, but the article is interesting and fun to read:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...xb7yijq_L__zTY

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Grub

Interesting. I wonder about plants sharing nutrients. If you have 3 seedlings in a small pot for example, will their roots fuse, or insoculate, over time? I planted 5 chestnut oak seedlings where a black locust once stood after it fell in a storm, will the locust actively work against the oaks now? You can actually see how the locusts are all in a rough line emanating from a thicket of them 100 feet away, I assume they are all connected underground.
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I recall reading about research regarding trees that are being eaten by insect warning others through release of chemicals--those other trees (not yet being eaten by insects) produce defensive chemicals to make themselves less palatable. This I can understand, and it is still amazing.

I find the link above fascinating, but it also leaves me a tad bit skeptical. It also makes me want to read the book.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

The book is great. It’s the person who wrote the article that makes it seem ridiculous. It’s worth a read.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The book is great. Itís the person who wrote the article that makes it seem ridiculous. Itís worth a read.
Good to know. Thank you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
Carbon

Tree2 Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The book is great. Itís the person who wrote the article that makes it seem ridiculous. Itís worth a read.
Yes...I agree. Many people have studied/written about 'silent' communication within the plant world...

Last year I attended a wonderful lecture by Jane Maloof - The Living Forest author and Founder of the Old Growth Forest Network - speaking on the subject - as well, I've read much from Paul Stamets in regard to mycorrhizal associations, etc. I think it is a fascinating course of study and look forward to learning more!
TwoGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGates View Post
Yes...I agree. Many people have studied/written about 'silent' communication within the plant world...

Last year I attended a wonderful lecture by Jane Maloof - The Living Forest author and Founder of the Old Growth Forest Network - speaking on the subject - as well, I've read much from Paul Stamets in regard to mycorrhizal associations, etc. I think it is a fascinating course of study and look forward to learning more!
Two Gates, I'm glad the subject resonates with you. There's all so much we have yet to learn about the species we share the planet with, and communication amongst the plant world holds a certain "alien" fascination for most who are exposed to it. As you continue your research, please post here anything you find particularly interesting or revealing. I'm confident your fascination with the topic will result in new revelations as you move forward in your investigations...

Thanks for your response

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
claims, man, talk, trees