Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Lambs quarters ~YUM YUM~ My favorite edible weed. I eat it as is from the plant tips
See: https://chestnutherbs.com/lambs-quarter/
Yeah, mine too! I put them in smoothies. They grow best or volunteer best in disturbed soil, which I have very little of, and though I see it often on my walks, I'm always concerned that a dog came by before me and lifted his leg upon it... but I agree - a delicious and nutritious green!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #32
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Lambs quarters ~YUM YUM~ My favorite edible weed. I eat it as is from the plant tips
See: https://chestnutherbs.com/lambs-quarter/

bring your appetite, bring your friends, an all you can eat Lambs Quarters buffet at Mr Weedys place, FREE!!
weedy feilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
Grub

Partridge Pea, an annual.
These are flowering in the 2 acre planting from this spring.
Lots of these everywhere. I have been mowing the weeds and keeping everything 4" or shorter. I'm going to start mowing up higher and stop mowing come end of August. I have been told that these annuals will come back next year if they have the flowers mowed off. I'd say right now less than 5% have flowers. So Hopefully I'll have them back next year and they should be bigger and better.

Hopefully in some areas the vegetation is thick enough in the spring seeded area that it can be burned next spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-001.jpg   Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-002.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #34
Grub

Down in the wetter slightly shaded south end of the field the plants are growing, well, like weeds, cause most of them are weeds.

Here is a shot of that area, the plants are growing with abandon.

I had a conversation with the owner of Prairie Moon about weeds and management. Nice guy, very helpful.

By what I described to him he feels I'm in fine shape, I have some prairie plants coming up, lots of Illinois Bundle Flower and Prairie clovers both white and purple, partridge pea flowering and I don't have any really bad invasives coming up.

Looking forward to a possible burn down in this area and what next summer brings after the majority of perennial flowers have been stratified and start germinating.

Attached Thumbnails
Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-010.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:57 PM   #35
Grub

smart weed, a "weed" coming up on its own.
Attached Thumbnails
Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-011.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #36
Grub

This is Illinois Bundle Flower or Prairie Mimosa, best feature is the foliage, very fine/small leaflets.
Attached Thumbnails
Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-012.jpg  
Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #37
Grub

Ferns that are coming up in the lower wetter area. They seem pretty hardy, have endured glyphosate and mowing yet they keep coming back. I'm OK with them, I'll see how they can survive with all the tall wild flowers and grasses in the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-013.jpg   Mr. Weedy's hopefully no longer weedy field project-more-flower-stuff-014.jpg  

Tags
field, longer, project, weedy