Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #11
Grub

Thanks for the detailed reply. I see lots of thought went into your planting.
weedy feilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #12
Lungwort

Nice project Id love to see some pictures when everything gets growing!
skip1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

As soon as the Baptisia starts flowering I was going to add an update. I've added some plants from the backyard that were in need of moving. I have a patch of Georgia Aster that needed a new home and some Solidago 'Golden Fleece'.

Georgia Aster is endangered in the wild but survives well in the nursery trade. I have several patches of it growing in the yard and am always impressed with how late in the year they flower. It's probably the last food source bumblebees find before finally starving to death or having to hibernate to start new hives next year. The flowers are so big and pretty though I think they'll do well out front flowering in late October.

Solidago 'Golden Fleece' is almost a leafy ground cover but not quite. It's one of those plants I never knew what to do with and planted it in a spot where it quickly gets shaded out by taller perennials. This year though I was impressed with how much it had spread in this one spot and decided to give it a new home.

Pictures coming soon.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I could see adding the smaller version of a goldenrod to the yard. It's nice.

Do you recall the name of the big orange blossomed one in your back yard that I had liked. It was quite tall with multiple daisy-coneflowerlike blossoms. It was about mid center to the left of the house (If facing away from it) You gave me some seeds but I could not get any of them to sprout..Maybe too immature? who knows but I sure would like to add that one to my yard if you can recall it's name

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I could see adding the smaller version of a goldenrod to the yard. It's nice.

Do you recall the name of the big orange blossomed one in your back yard that I had liked. It was quite tall with multiple daisy-coneflowerlike blossoms. It was about mid center to the left of the house (If facing away from it) You gave me some seeds but I could not get any of them to sprout..Maybe too immature? who knows but I sure would like to add that one to my yard if you can recall it's name
No I don't recall what that would be, though if you ever see me post a picture of it please let me know and I'll get you all the seeds you need, or perhaps a rhizome if it's expanded. The only thing I can think of is Maximilian Sunflower or Compass Flower. I might have been growing Mexican Sunflowers at that time but those aren't native.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 PM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Neither of those as it was definitely orange ...
Could very well have been the Mexican but for some reason I was thinking perennial. The mexican's an annual isn't it?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:52 AM   #17
Rock Star

Nice new garden space, can't wait to see it grow together.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #18

The Baptesia has started flowering.

I've also since added a few species:
Wild Petunia, Ruellia humilis.

White Turtlehead, Chelone glabra.
A colorful cultivar of the Purple Coneflower 'Rainbow Marcella' which I might replace or add the true species at some point in the future.

And a few nonnatives:

My mom loves Shasta Daisies (apparently) so I've added 3 small plants to a short cultivar. My neighbor used to have them in their garden. I know they spread like crazy but they eventually die out if dead headed or out right weeded.

Lantana 'Miss Huff' which is supposedly hardy in zone 7.

Also Tall Verbena, which I know will reseed but I don't see it being a problem with so many aggressive spreading natives to contend with.

I intend to add some Basil, one of the cultivars with purple foliage just to be different and fill in some spots this season. I'll be cutting it out whenever it gets in the way of something native, and probably will be planting less of it next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Yard Project-false-20indigo-20garden.jpg  
Old 06-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #19

Alright it's summer, time for an update. All grows well. The Baptesia is forming seed pods now and I finally found a spray to punish the squirrels for digging up my plants.

Monarda 'Claire Grace' is looking wonderful next to Anise Hyssop 'Honeybee' which I hadn't thought about hen planting them. The Monarda 'Purple Rooster however I'm not impressed by; it's supposed to be 3' tall when it flowers but the cultivar has only grown half that. I suspect it's just taking an extra year before growing to it's full height. It is, however, going to flower sometime next week.

I cleared out a New England Aster which usually consumes the white tire in the front of the garden. I have too many Asters planted as it is and I certainly don't need this one reseeding here! In the back garden it seems to take over spots with good garden soil and expands vigorously.

Also one of the Wild Petunias has decided to flower.

Penstemon was planted in it's place which I have been enjoying.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Yard Project-front-20garden-20summer.jpg   Front Yard Project-anise-20hyssop-20honeybee-20blue.jpg   Front Yard Project-monarda-20claire-20grace.jpg   Front Yard Project-penstemon.jpg   Front Yard Project-wild-20petunia.jpg  

Old 06-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #20

A rather pretty Coneflower cultivar called "Rainbow Marcella" tired flowering. I say tried because a squirrel destroyed the back half of it. Other ones just like it are going to open shortly though and are looking good beside the other plants.

On the non-native front Shasta Daisies (which are my moms favorite flower for some reason) are all flowering too. I've no idea why these are my mom's favorite flower though. She's always complaining that "White flowers are quick to look dirty," And I can't think of a better example than the Shasta Daisies we have in our front yard.... I might discretely get rid of these, or dead head them so they don't reseed.

Tall Verbena mixes in surprisingly well with the Monarda and Hyssop. Time will tell if they get along though. It is an annual but it spreads prolifically... although I had it planted in one of the smaller side gardens last year and it hasn't come back at all. Perhaps it's only aggressive in certain settings.

Lantana 'Miss Huff' is oddly named but supposedly cold hardy in Zone 7, which is right where I am. Lantana always have very pretty flower colors. This was an attempt to not have to buy them every year. Farther south (in all the Gulf States) the Lantana plants we all grow as annuals are actually perennial shrubs growing to 4' or so because winter doesn't kill them off. I'm curious to see what this does.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Yard Project-coneflower-20rainbow-20marcella.jpg   Front Yard Project-shasta-20daisy.jpg   Front Yard Project-tall-20verbena-20hover-20fly.jpg   Front Yard Project-lantana-20miss-20huff.jpg  

Tags
front, project, yard