Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Oak Pond Fail, what now?

As Stephen Packard tells the story of a pond in a blog post, we take note of how the service of many years to one place sees many changes. His connection to this place along with the ability to relate a story well opens our eyes to what may be happening in our own local wild spaces.

https://vestalgrove.blogspot.com/201...-oak-pond.html

Quote:
One of the most dramatic predator displays offered by Oak Pond starred cedar waxwings. They like to eat backswimmers. The backswimmers are ferocious predators themselves, consuming a great many tadpoles, when they get a chance. But as the pond dries down to just a square yard or so of water, the backswimmers pop out of the water and fly off to find another pond. Cedar waxwings would sit in the trees that circle the pond, and as soon as a backswimmer took off, the waxwings would flit out and grab it. We never saw one get away.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Thank you for sharing this, Gloria.

It saddens me..probably because of the speed of the transformation. Natural succession is, well, natural...but, in my small scale projects on our property, I hope to halt succession in some areas while letting it go in various stages of succession in others.

I am hoping to, finally, install my Phase II of my water feature projects --a larger pond to (eventually connect to my smaller pond (glorified birdbath). This will have a flexible liner. It will be on a much smaller scale (and less natural) than the Oak Pond. I would be greatly saddened to see mine fail.

At least, at Oak Pond, there are other ponds...and the owner/author seems to have embraced succession to a meadow.

The waxwing observation seems to almost make the whole ordeal worthwhile.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:41 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I thought that pretty neat that the cedar waxwings just hang around and wait for the backswimmers to pop out and leave. That use of a little brain reminds me of a bass that used to follow me when I walked near the river. He knew and was waiting for the frogs to leap forth!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
...reminds me of a bass that used to follow me when I walked near the river. He knew and was waiting for the frogs to leap forth!
Wow!

Clever.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I thought that pretty neat that the cedar waxwings just hang around and wait for the backswimmers to pop out and leave. That use of a little brain reminds me of a bass that used to follow me when I walked near the river. He knew and was waiting for the frogs to leap forth!
Birds, I have come to understand, are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet. Having been the owner of an African Grey parrot for 24 years, I can vouch for it. Then again, all animals are proficient at what they do to survive, and most have been here on earth for a lot longer than we have!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fail, oak, pond