Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #21
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Thought you used to have one upon a slight hill at your place but then again It's been many many many years since I've been there. Maybe you've moved since?About all I can remember of the area was it seemed a bit higher with maybe sedums and low growing creepy crawling alpine species that could take the drier climate it seemed to have, and flatish rocks here and there. Perhaps you called it something other in its days or perhaps it was just a natural area nothing you planted that I had noticed. Thought maybe you might have had a few pointers for Dapjwy if I had brought it to mind.
Hmmm... I can't think of any spot like that at the places where we lived. There is a spot somewhat like that, with sedums, at the Harmony Gardens.

I think Dapjwy is already diligently considering the implications/outcomes of many of the pointers that have been, and will be, coming his way. (See preceding post)
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #22
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hmm....good point. I had planned to/considered using locally sourced gravel that is from less than a mile away--removed from what used to be a farm field and was likely deposited by glaciers (the area is a floodplain, I believe)...and the gravel is rounded much like what I find while digging in my own yard.

Would this be appropriate for an area of sparse grasses and shorter wildflowers?

I'd love to see the adults--the chicks would be an amazing bonus! I've seen photos of them, and they are adorable.
Any Cornus alternifolia in your plans, Dap??? I've had great success in attracting some interesting bird species with that dogwood. It's is, next to the white oak, the number one bird attracter in my yard.

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
I think Dapjwy is already diligently considering the implications/outcomes of many of the pointers that have been, and will be, coming his way. (See preceding post)
I hope that I am.

...Yay! More pointers are coming my way!!!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #24
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Any Cornus alternifolia in your plans, Dap??? I've had great success in attracting some interesting bird species with that dogwood. It's is, next to the white oak, the number one bird attracter in my yard.
~smile~

I actually have a few naturally-occurring C. alternifolia in the yard...too few, actually--they are mostly scattered in a few places and probably fairly small/young...yet still old enough to produce berries.

A couple of seedlings have shown up on their own; one, I plan to move to a more appropriate spot for my plan...the other two, I will leave where the birds planted them--not where I would have put them, but not interfering with anythinh. I'm excited about them filling in and becoming part of a grouping i gad already planned for that spot.

I'm very happy to have them...and happy to have them where I can see them from the house. I look forward to seeing the various birds it will attract.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companions, natural