Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 06:11 PM   #51
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
This is my MO as well. I pay attention to sun/shade requirements more than I do to soil. If I plant it and it doesn't work, I'll move it to another spot. I find that most things will do fine in my soil once established. They may require a bit of TLC for the first growing season, but, like Hava, I rarely have to move things.
I guess, for the most part, I just think about sun or shade, and moist or dry. I rarely move things--if ever...once I moved a young hazelnut tree that the road crew sheared down--then, it didn't do well where I moved it, so I moved it again. I think it has expired. Had I left it, I bet it would have thrived...and I've yet to see the road crew shear that far down the slope since.

I do have a spot where some more aggressive natives crowded out some plants that require less competition, so that is something else I try to be aware of. I may have to move something that my golden ragwort has been crowding out.

My vision, is to create a landscape that is based on nature and natural plant communities, that is my main reason for all the questions and research.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #52
Unicellular Fungi

Dapjwy,

I've been MIA from this forum far too long. I'm hugely impressed at how your shale barrens project is progressing. I'm planning in an upcoming project in my front yard where I want to replace my lawn, re-creating either a native woodland community or prairie community of plants. The plan is still developing.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #53
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You're pretty far west and a bit south of where I am. How's your weather? Warming up yet? We're sitting here in the thirties today! Brrrrr

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #54
Offical Silphium Abuser

SE Ohio hit the upper eighties yesterday. Too hot for this time of year!

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
Dapjwy,

I've been MIA from this forum far too long. I'm hugely impressed at how your shale barrens project is progressing. I'm planning in an upcoming project in my front yard where I want to replace my lawn, re-creating either a native woodland community or prairie community of plants. The plan is still developing.
rhauser44,

Glad that you are back and posting. As you can see from my late reply, I am not as active as I once was, but I am making an effort to check in more regularly.

Thank you. That project is actually overrun right now by sorrel (Rumex)--had to look that one up. This is an alien sorrel, but I recall reading that there was a native that is quite similar. Actually, I always liked the look of a colony of sorrel...and I would be thrilled to establish the native one if the opportunity ever arises.

Anyway, this is still a relatively new project for me...and it is a learning process. I may want to expand it, or have it blend into a similar "barren" community.

As for your own project, is there any way that you could do both? As important as it is to plant trees, I feel that the prairie and meadow communities are often neglected. These areas need to be preserved as well.

Can you create a design that allows one community to blend into and merge with the other. I have read that "edge habitat" is the most useful to the widest variety of wildlife.

I understand that a front yard may not be the ideal place to create something like this, but if done properly, I bet it could be successful both functionally and aesthetically.

Keep us posted. Perhaps you'll have your own project threads in the near future--complete with pictures.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #56

We had some unseasonably warm weather (80s at the end of April)...now it is cooler and rainy. We even had a frost...and may have another one later in the week.

I'm trying to use these long periods of rain to my advantage--I'm starting to sow the native meadow--but, raking (and at times shoveling out) the leaves from where I had smothered takes so much time and effort. So far, I only have one section done--probably 1/3 to 1/4 of what I have prepared.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #57
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
rhauser44,

... As for your own project, is there any way that you could do both? As important as it is to plant trees, I feel that the prairie and meadow communities are often neglected. These areas need to be preserved as well.

Can you create a design that allows one community to blend into and merge with the other. I have read that "edge habitat" is the most useful to the widest variety of wildlife.

I understand that a front yard may not be the ideal place to create something like this, but if done properly, I bet it could be successful both functionally and aesthetically.

Keep us posted. Perhaps you'll have your own project threads in the near future--complete with pictures.
Dapjwy,

I have the same thoughts on creating some representative an edge environment in my front yard using some plants from the natural community for my ecoregion. I'm not lucky enough to have the acreage you have as a blank canvas. My property is a typical 1/4 acre suburban lot. With a two maples in the front yard, and one in the back.

I'll open a new thread for my project shortly, once I finalize a plan. The project will probably be a multi-year plan, as I will be growing most of what I'll need. I'll look forward to your suggestions and those from the other contributors as well. Stay tuned!!!
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
Dapjwy,

I have the same thoughts on creating some representative an edge environment in my front yard using some plants from the natural community for my ecoregion. I'm not lucky enough to have the acreage you have as a blank canvas. My property is a typical 1/4 acre suburban lot. With a two maples in the front yard, and one in the back.

I'll open a new thread for my project shortly, once I finalize a plan. The project will probably be a multi-year plan, as I will be growing most of what I'll need. I'll look forward to your suggestions and those from the other contributors as well. Stay tuned!!!

It sounds like a great plan. Looking back, I wish I had started more plants myself from seed early on. I'm doing it now, still trying to catch up.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: a small yard can make a big impact--things I plant seem to get lost in the expanse. Smaller yards seem to allow for a more intimate setting...and it is easier to achieve a fuller look more quickly.

I am fortunate to have 2 acres...I am still THRILLED. Growing up, my brother, two sisters and I all seemed to want 5 acres. Most of us got one or two. Had my husband never put the idea in my head, I might be satisfied with just the two (and I am), but when we first moved in, he talked about someday buying the field behind us--not that we can afford it...or that the neighbor would likely sell it...but, I can dream.

Honestly, I have more than enough to keep me busy...but, I'd still like to extend our back yard by one acre--anything more would be too much of a burden, I'm sure...and...*AND*...the area beyond that one acre is mostly invasive species including the dreaded Japanese knotweed. I should be happy with what I have. As long as we can fix up the house, we should be fine.

I look forward to your thread.

Tags
habitat, latest, project