Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I finally got to reading a fern book I've been meaning to look into and see quite a few ferns would adapt to your Cobble type setting...They creep and are airy enough so you'd still see your rocks and pebbles.
I like that idea.

Are these ferns native by any chance?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:52 AM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Doesn't mention which are native to where but it also said some liked an acidic soil (The royal and the evergreen shield ) some more alkaline which was news to me. I thought they all liked it more acidic. It went on to state a more dry soil produces smaller ferns so if there's a larger variety you like to try just hold back some on the additional watering (If you do that)

For the stone cobble area it went on to suggest the sun loving cliff brakes, purple cliff and Sierra cliff to be specific and the woodsie which if grown in the sun would be more yellow and a bit smaller than if grown in the shade. also the walking fern, ebony spleenwort, hart's tongue
( Rare but grown in England)....Hmmmm, Now THAT one didn't sound too native to me!!!

Unsure if need be but thought I'd mention the book I gleaned the info from: Time life Ferns

Ooooo what about inter-planting various types of moss between your stones? Those are low and if they start to cover the rocks too much just hold and yank the overpowering parts off while keeping the roots intact. Pretty much what I do to regain my limestone path.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Doesn't mention which are native to where but it also said some liked an acidic soil (The royal and the evergreen shield ) some more alkaline which was news to me. I thought they all liked it more acidic. It went on to state a more dry soil produces smaller ferns so if there's a larger variety you like to try just hold back some on the additional watering (If you do that)

For the stone cobble area it went on to suggest the sun loving cliff brakes, purple cliff and Sierra cliff to be specific and the woodsie which if grown in the sun would be more yellow and a bit smaller than if grown in the shade. also the walking fern, ebony spleenwort, hart's tongue
( Rare but grown in England)....Hmmmm, Now THAT one didn't sound too native to me!!!

Unsure if need be but thought I'd mention the book I gleaned the info from: Time life Ferns

Ooooo what about inter-planting various types of moss between your stones? Those are low and if they start to cover the rocks too much just hold and yank the overpowering parts off while keeping the roots intact. Pretty much what I do to regain my limestone path.
I'm (nearly) sure that there are some sun-loving native ferns...and I even have one that I added to a ledge/crack in "my pride and joy", a huge boulder on our property.

Ideally, any sun-loving mosses and even lichens would adorn this area (and other spots on our property)...unfortunately, since I am creating it and not nature, I fear that the combination of rocks and soil types may not be what is needed to grow all that I envision.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #44
Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I'm (nearly) sure that there are some sun-loving native ferns...and I even have one that I added to a ledge/crack in "my pride and joy", a huge boulder on our property.
I love my boulders, too! Especially with some lichens and ferns growing on them. That's nice!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
I love my boulders, too! Especially with some lichens and ferns growing on them. That's nice!
~smile~

If you have pictures, please post them.

I'll try to post mine soon.

I love rocks...especialy aged ones, as you say, with lichens, moss, and ferns. My "pride and joy" is, unfortunately, not prominent in the landscape--it is kind of hidden on a slope...something one will come upon if you go down (or better, up) the right path.

There are a few other large rocks, but none as big as this...and being scattered here and there, they don't make the same impact as a cliff or outcrop in nature. Still, these rocks were icing on the cake when we were considering buying this place.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post

Ideally, any sun-loving mosses and even lichens would adorn this area (and other spots on our property)...unfortunately, since I am creating it and not nature, I fear that the combination of rocks and soil types may not be what is needed to grow all that I envision.
I really don't worry about soil types when planting... Either they grow and prosper or they don't. If looking poorly I'll move them to another spot... more or less sunny ....more or less moisture. It's not often that I choose to move things.

Sometimes adding more water to the shade lovers growing in SUN will do it. Sun lovers growing in SHADE just flower a bit less which I"m A-OK with. Not enough time in the day to research what likes what as I've sooooo many places in which I plant. Basically planting where and as I wish them to be.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #47

Quote:
I really don't worry about soil types when planting... Either they grow and prosper or they don't. If looking poorly I'll move them to another spot... more or less sunny ....more or less moisture. It's not often that I choose to move things.

Sometimes adding more water to the shade lovers growing in SUN will do it. Sun lovers growing in SHADE just flower a bit less which I"m A-OK with. Not enough time in the day to research what likes what as I've sooooo many places in which I plant. Basically planting where and as I wish them to be.
I am trying to create combinations that would naturally occur together. At the same time, I do combine things that I just assume would grow together.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #48

Oh I understand where you're coming from totally. Just saying, Myself I'd throw in whatever natives that looked nice together and hoped for the best. Only way you're going to figure out what grows next to one another naturally is through observance in the field or through photos others have taken hopefully in the field and not placed and taken in their own domain.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #49

Quote:
Oh I understand where you're coming from totally. Just saying, Myself I'd throw in whatever natives that looked nice together and hoped for the best. Only way you're going to figure out what grows next to one another naturally is through observance in the field or through photos others have taken hopefully in the field and not placed and taken in their own domain.
I definitely wish I had more experience with natural areas and observations (and photos) of the plants in a wide variety of habitats. I am happy to learn from others experiences too.

I recall creating a thread specifically for that.

I also think there is a source online about plant associations...I just have to find it again.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #50
Hippie Gardener

Quote:

This is my MO as well. I pay attention to sun/shade requirements more than I do to soil. If I plant it and it doesn't work, I'll move it to another spot. I find that most things will do fine in my soil once established. They may require a bit of TLC for the first growing season, but, like Hava, I rarely have to move things.

Tags
habitat, latest, project