Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I have a bunch of manicured lawns around me but am fortunate to also have natural areas close by. I get all kinds of cool volunteer plants on my property.
That is great for you. I hope you get lots of natives volunteering.

I never think of being surrounded by manicured lawns, but the o e neighbor is always out on his riding mower. Nice landscape, some very tall trees (one is a tulip tree....that has yet to seed into our yard!), but also rather traditional--I have to wonder what he thinks about. Y letting our property go wild (maintained wild--still too many invasives to feel it is beautiful and not an eyesore....but give me time).

Others mostly mow, I guess.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #32

Default Rocky Outcrop/Shale Scree

I was going to start a new thread, but then, I realized I already had one for this area.

I was going through some of my pictures and wanted to share. This area is still quite new and needs tweaked--especially since, the rocks were placed rather quickly and more with the intention of holding down the cardboard that was smothering the lawn in this area.

Still, here are some of the photos, that I have found so far--plenty more have yet to be found...Hopefully, they will be added down the road.

Not really in chronological order:

Latest Habitat Project-screeoutcroppanorama.jpg

Latest Habitat Project-screefirstattempt.jpg

Latest Habitat Project-rockyoutcropplants.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I read somewhere (Don't recall if it was here or not but) if you wanted it (the rocky area) to appear like a natural fault line upheaval to set them in at a 45 degree angle. Yours are already looking like they've always been there. Especially after seeing you've already some plants intermingling.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I read somewhere (Don't recall if it was here or not but) if you wanted it (the rocky area) to appear like a natural fault line upheaval to set them in at a 45 degree angle. Yours are already looking like they've always been there. Especially after seeing you've already some plants intermingling.

I like your upheaval advice--and I will keep it in mind for future projects.

Thank you...I try to keep things looking natural; I want things to appear that they've always been there. This area...and (especially) the section adjacent still need things tweaked. I am much more pleased with this section than the one I added a bit later in the year.

I do fear that, as the plants grow in, the rocks will disappear--not really the look I was going for.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #35

More pics...(the ones that wouldn't attach last night)...

Well...scratch that: ONE new pic. (other ones won't load)

Latest Habitat Project-birdsfoot-violet.jpg
Old 03-29-2017, 11:17 PM   #36
Salamander

That little birdsfoot violet is pretty as a picture!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #37

Quote:
I do fear that, as the plants grow in, the rocks will disappear--not really the look I was going for.
Thus the need to sink in some larger rocks while in it's youth?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
That little birdsfoot violet is pretty as a picture!
Thank you.

I'm really hoping it didn't get crowded out! I have several of them...and I planted them among other low-growing natives *with which I saw them growing in the wild*, so, I'm hoping they will make it.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Thus the need to sink in some larger rocks while in it's youth?
I would like to add larger rocks...here, and nearby...but, not sure the budget allows--so far, the rocks I have are mostly what is on the property already...and, they have to be small enough to maneuver by hand. Sigh.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #40

I finally got to reading a fern book I've been meaning to look into and see quite a few ferns would adapt to your Cobble type setting...They creep and are airy enough so you'd still see your rocks and pebbles.

Tags
habitat, latest, project