Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Oh yes...It's Purslane and oh boy, you'll have a reaction all right....Not going to tell ya what.... You'll find out! Nothing deadly to worry about but it'll be a surprise! Let me know what you think after you've bitten off a piece and shewed it for a while.
Is it the texture or the taste...or something else entirely?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Try it yet? Bawk buck buck buck

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Try it yet? Bawk buck buck buck
Funny, I forgot all about it, until just this morning while driving, when I decided your response would be "I'm not telling! you gotta try it." I was close...but I never thought you'd be making chicken noises!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #14

Sounds like you still haven't' made a grab at the purse?
And me? just passing the buck your way... Go for it....... stuff it in!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I've yet to plant the paths...although, I did start smothering alongside where I sowed that strip of meadow...between it and the grass path. I'm hoping to seed it and smother more of the path--probably I will use path rush and any of the shorter grasses/sedges/rushes that I can find (still have lots of research to do). I'll welcome any forbs that can handle the mowing and a bit of trampling. Common violets seem like they may work well. I'm more than open to other suggestions...like the purslane--not something I'd have thought of...although, it didn't seem to show its face until a few weeks ago, and is just starting to fill in now.

I had heard that it was edible and nutritious...but, I had no idea that it was packaged and sold!

I should see about adding it to a salad...or, *possibly* just nibbling it while weeding as you suggested--although a bit of salt or something may make it more palatable--who knows. What is the texture like? (I'm second guessing the salad thing.)
Looking good so far, Dap! I didn't know purslane was native. I guess I just always assumed it wasn't, since it volunteers all over my yard!

I planted a strip of Pennsylvania Sedge right along the edge of our driveway. It's a difficult spot to grow anything because it sometimes gets walked on (and maybe driven on!). It's a low grower, seems to tolerate anything from sun to shade and it's doing great there so far. I'll have to see how it handles a winter of shoveling and heavy snow cover.

I love blue-eyed grass as well and it's on my wish list for 2016.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Sounds like you still haven't' made a grab at the purse?
And me? just passing the buck your way... Go for it....... stuff it in!
I actually did nearly break a piece off and pop it into my mouth while weeding out a clump of crabgrass--but stopped myself since I had a mint in my mouth at the time.

So, next time the urge hits, hopefully there will be nothing to interfere with the taste experience (although I suspect it is more of a slimy texture or lip-pursing tang.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #17

Update, havalotta: the other day, I was weeding a small crabgrass plant in that section, and eyed the purslane. With no mint in my mouth, I had no excuse not to try it. So, I did.

It wasn't bad tasting at all...it was really pretty good...and, I couldn't figure out what you were referring to. I chewed it for a while, but, I must admit, instead of swallowing it, I spat it out (just in case I hadn't identified it correctly...or your surprise was a digestive and not taste thing.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #18
Rock Star

katjh, sometimes I find blue eyed grass growing in the lawn and my neighbor gave me a few clumps that appeared in her lawn.
I also found a few clumps of path rush growing among the crab grass.
So I guess it pays to check what is already growing on our properties.
I added both of those with the Pennsylvania sedge in the back lawn.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #19

Quote:
It wasn't bad tasting at all...it was really pretty good...and, I couldn't figure out what you were referring to.
I found it absolutely disgustingly slippery to the palate much the same as kra hits me.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
katjh, sometimes I find blue eyed grass growing in the lawn and my neighbor gave me a few clumps that appeared in her lawn.
I also found a few clumps of path rush growing among the crab grass.
So I guess it pays to check what is already growing on our properties.
I added both of those with the Pennsylvania sedge in the back lawn.
Yes, it definitely pays to see what natives are already occurring or seeding in.

I love blue eyed grass and hope to create swaths of it in some areas.

I'm very pleased and excited that the bluets I bought and put in seem to be taking hold...and even continue to bloom sparsely. I imagine huge colonies of them in areas too. This is my first success with bluets here!

Tags
habitat, latest, project