Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #31
Alternate POM Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Jewelweed would be a good one to try...and fun too--the seed pods explode. If you can find a local population, just collect some seed and sprinkle it in a spot that is on the moister side. They will come up on their own in the spring...and they are attractive to hummingbirds.
Thanks dap, I think I have one jewelweed plant now. I did notice that it was not happy when it got dry in fact I had 2 jewelweed plants and one died when it got too dry. It's with the blue lobelia that you gave me. They like moist conditions too. I'm doing well with watering now. When it's dry I run the hose on a trickle all day moving it around to water everything.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Thanks dap, I think I have one jewelweed plant now. I did notice that it was not happy when it got dry in fact I had 2 jewelweed plants and one died when it got too dry. It's with the blue lobelia that you gave me.
Cool.

Do you think it came in with the lobelia? (It seeds all over the place here--and gets into my pots sometimes.) If it is from me, it is most likely the yellow and not the orange.

Quote:
I'm doing well with watering now. When it's dry I run the hose on a trickle all day moving it around to water everything.
Good to hear.

I finally went down into the basement, hooked up the hose (I have no outside spigot--yet...though we bought the parts for it), topped off the pond (and mixed some hot water too keep the temperature from dropping drastically), and then watered my seedling and plants in my "pot ghetto".

By the way, the hackberry you gave me is starting to form buds on more and more branches each time I check. I'm confident that at least three of the sassafras will be fine...if not more.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #33
Alternate POM Judge

Oh! I guess the jewelweed did come from you dap. It does have yellow flowers.
I'm happy the hackberry looks ok. I'm encouraged because it looked dead for a while. It was dug before the other hackberry that looks dead so maybe it will be ok too, I hope! Glad to hear some sassafras are doing ok. Thanks for keeping me posted.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Oh! I guess the jewelweed did come from you dap. It does have yellow flowers.
I'm happy the hackberry looks ok. I'm encouraged because it looked dead for a while. It was dug before the other hackberry that looks dead so maybe it will be ok too, I hope! Glad to hear some sassafras are doing ok. Thanks for keeping me posted.
No guarantee that it came from me...but with the yellow flowers, it seems more likely. I really prefer the orange (I'd be happy with both, but I hate to have only the yellow). I did have a few, but I fear my soil's pH favors the yellow. There are some local populations of the orange...and some with both growing together, so I am still hopeful.

My plan is to create a wetland of some sort...and hopefully that soil (in some areas it will be moist but no standing water) will favor the orange.

Sure, I'll keep you posted. I hope you will have blooms next year to tell me about--or even post a picture or two.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #35

On a different note, I finally called back the wildlife biologist from the WHIP program...we made an appointment for him to come out to check out the property and give me some ideas (and hopefully some IDs).

I've already got a vision in my head of what I want the place to look like eventually...hopefully we will both be on the same page. I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want something totally different. Here's hoping he will be an expert in plant communities and will help guide me with some of the more intricate aspects of my vision.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #36
Alternate POM Judge

The blue lobelia you gave me has buds dap. Day after day I check for flowers. I will take pictures when they bloom...can't wait!
Are you getting funding from the WHIP program? It's great that a wildlife biologist will be visiting your place.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #37

Quote:
The blue lobelia you gave me has buds dap. Day after day I check for flowers. I will take pictures when they bloom...can't wait!
I'm happy to hear that! I'm glad they are getting ready to bloom for you. I know how much you like blue.

Being a good bit farther south, I'm sure you are ahead if me...I've yet to even notice more than a few of mine just by the leaves.

Quote:
Are you getting funding from the WHIP program? It's great that a wildlife biologist will be visiting your place.
No funding yet. Last time I checked in about that, they told me money was very limited...and "maybe in the fall". Originally, I was told they hold the application for two years....if the application isn't accepted in that time, I can reapply.

The whole experience has still been beneficial--it made me dream about what I'd do if money weren't an issue (not that the WHIP program would reimburse me for unlimited spending). Through dreaming, I came up with a plan for the areas that I always thought I'd leave as lawn.

I really do hope to get approved, but whatever happens, I'll keep plugging away at doing a little at a time. I'm sure it will get done as long as I live long enough.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #38
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
.... and then watered my seedling and plants in my "pot ghetto".
@ "pot ghetto" ! I have one of those, too.
Native Plant Communities-winter-sowing.jpg
Old 07-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
@ "pot ghetto" ! I have one of those, too.
Attachment 41157
~smile~

Glad you got a kick out of that. I didn't coin the phrase. I actually heard it used here first. I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I tell you if your neat and tidy, non-neglected pots constitute a plant/pot ghetto. I'll have to take a shot of some of mine and let you be the judge. (Yes, I have more than one!)

One was just sifted through recently, the other has been untouched for at least this whole season--not sure you'll even be able to make out any of the pots...or half of the plants.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #40

Hmmm...looking at the title of this thread made me wonder about the latest native plant community--the pot ghetto...surely it has some benefit to wildlife, but it is hardly a naturally occurring community...except in the yards of native plant enthusiasts who buy more than their ready to plant.

Tags
communities, native, plant