Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Heron

I like the original plan of silver maples and black walnuts.

What I'm trying to shoot for all the time is fast growing trees that can be transformed into snags and nut trees that live a long time.

Silver Maples can have cottonwoods, basswoods, and tulip trees stand in as options as future snags and white oak and hickory can stand in for black walnut.

In my eyes and I'm sure you've seen mature beeches set off a hill just like you have outside your window.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I definitely want to include beech...I found one seedling growing in a flowerbed our first year here...I moved it to where it could grow to its full height; unfortunately the rabbits got it and I lost it. That was a hard blow.

I do have one seedling beech that I put in two years ago...with protection this time. It is in the other wooded section. I'd like to add more...especially some near the hemlocks. I love the contrast of the beech leaves in winter with an evergreen backdrop.

When I get more, I want to add them to the hedgerow and the "pocket woodland" described in this thread.

Oh, and spew king of fast growing trees that become snags...I had a nice elm--fairly tall that had been providing shade in the woodland until it died the other year. I really hated to lose it, but it is nice to have it for a snag. I've added other young elm trees as I find seedlings. Also, there are a few mature ones on the property. One in particular is very attractive...I'm hoping if it has lasted this long that I will not lose it. It's progeny should have a good chance of not succumbing to Dutch elm disease...then again two "middle-aged" ones have died.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #13
Fox

"Oh, and spew king of fast growing trees that become snags..." - You've really got to get that spell checker fixed ...
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
"Oh, and spew king of fast growing trees that become snags..." - You've really got to get that spell checker fixed ...
LOL! I had to go back to see if it was me or sprucetree! It was me.

I was on the iPad and it does its on self-correct thing! I really should proof read more before posting!

I believe I typed "speaking"--or at least meant to!

Glad you got a belly-laugh.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
LOL! I had to go back to see if it was me or sprucetree! It was me.

I was on the iPad and it does its on self-correct thing! I really should proof read more before posting!

I believe I typed "speaking"--or at least meant to!

Glad you got a belly-laugh.
Yes, I remembered from an earlier thread that you and your iPad were wrestling over which words were the right ones for the sentence you were working on. When I saw the "spew king" inserted for "speaking" I figured that the iPad had slipped another one in on you. Even writing this post has got me chuckling again.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucetree View Post
I Silver Maples can have cottonwoods, basswoods, and tulip trees stand in as options as future snags and white oak and hickory can stand in for black walnut.
I'm revisiting this comment now that I'm more fully awake and back on the desktop. I *thought* "basswood" was another name for "linden" (Tilia americana), a tree I've only begun to become familiar with over the past two years. I don't remember them from my youth--likely because they were not among those whose names I learned from my parents, and later from a leaf identification project in Botany class.

It is definitely among those species that I want to grow on our property. Since learning of them, I've seen them growing locally. Research tells me that they are not terribly easy to grow from seed--they have a long dormancy. Thanks to your comment, sprucetree, I did a bit more research today and found this: Tilia americana L
a very informative site.

Quote:
The flowers attract a number of insect pollinators. In a study of the pollination biology, 66 species of insects from 29 families were identified as pollinators of Tilia flowers. Bees and flies were the most common diurnal pollinators; moths were the primary nocturnal visitors (2).
One of the main reasons I want to grow it......but I didn't realize there was such a variety of pollinators.
Quote:
<H3>Associated Forest Cover
Quote:

American basswood grows in mixture with other species and only rarely forms pure stands. It is dominant in a single forest type, Sugar Maple-Basswood...

Common associates are white ash (Fraxinus americana), northern red oak (Quercus rubra), eastern hophornbeam (Ostrya virginiana), red maple (Acer rubrum), and American elm (Ulmus americana).
</H3>...all of which I have! (It also lists other forest types.)

So, from your list, cottonwood is the only one that I don't plan to add--again, I'm not very familiar with them (and think of them as more of a Mid-western species). With limited space, something has to go!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Yes, I remembered from an earlier thread that you and your iPad were wrestling over which words were the right ones for the sentence you were working on. When I saw the "spew king" inserted for "speaking" I figured that the iPad had slipped another one in on you. Even writing this post has got me chuckling again.

~smile~ I like your description--most of the time I pick the right word, and the iPad is clueless...but all too often it sneaks them in. They are often good for a laugh--I think there are even websites dedicated to them. At least its got me smiling.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #18

After seeing where this thread is going, I wish I hadn't named it "Woodland Woes..."; I think "Planning My Pocket Woodland" or something would be better. It is too late for me to edit it. If I could (or someone out there would do it for me), I'd change it...but, then there is always the fear that people couldn't find the thread they were looking for.

I'd be fine starting a new thread about the planning, but I think that the topics covered so far fit well with my planning and sorting things out.

Tags
aka, mast, planning, pocket, snag, woeswell, woodland, worries