Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default GA- Christmas trees collected for wildlife habitat programs

Christmas trees collected for wildlife habitat programs
By Rob Pavey
Staff Writer
Wednesday, Dec. 26, 2012 10:39 AM
Last updated 8:51 PM

Christmas trees collected for wildlife habitat programs | The Augusta Chronicle
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Christmas trees were piling up Wednesday at Riverside Middle School, where the Army Corps of Engineers collects them each year for its fish habitat programs at Thurmond Lake.

The school dropoff site at 1095 Furys Ferry Road in Evans will be open through Jan. 9, after which the trees will be trucked to the lake, bound in groups and submerged to form underwater fish attractors.

Some trees can also be used in forested areas to create...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Fox

Fish Bass I thought it 'good' to use the wasted trees

I did something like this long time ago, it helps if you have a couple buddies with bass boats. We loaded 19 clean Christmas trees, in pickups, with boats in tow, and headed for the lake. It is alittle bit of work scrounging nearby large rocks, to wire tie and anchor the trees with, then motor a distance to the 'new secret fishing hole'. It is kind of an uneasy feeling being a part of a secret Christmas tree floatilla, remaining undetected by the game warden, or lake official, or even worse other fishermen! hahaha We even used a different boat launch site, which happened to have plenty of those anchoring stones. Once at the secret site, it should be noted 'the natural markers', such as "at the mouth of xxcreek, 50 yards out till the rock cliff lines up with the the other cliff, drop anchor. Frozen hands is just part of the fun. Remember the dry land markers because the lake level will change from time to time. We arranged & slipped trees into the deep in a kind of careless circle. If there is a snag sticking up, that too should be considered for a Christmas tree site because it makes it easier to tie the boat while fishing, instead of using an anchor. A large burlap bag of fresh chicken guts & cotton seed meal is also weighted an sewn shut and dumped in the middle of it, the idea being even the fish get a Christmas meal with their new tree cover. When the catfish bump the bag, the seed meal floats out and the minnows draw near for that.

When your faced with fishing a 50 mile lake, it is easier to draw the fish to an specific area, than trying to track em down in the vast open waters. Oh yeah, bring a coffee can full of seed meal with you next time you fish, sift it out at the secret fishing hole, and the fish will know who you are...and happily jump on your hook!

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Secret fishing hole site, eh? Is that like a morel mushroom site? Is that the kind of secret fisherman take to their graves>>>?
--
I've snitched em from the curb myself. I drag em back by my birdfeeder. A few of them all piled together make a great windbreak for my husband's feathered friends.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Heron

My Christmas tree becomes a cooper hawk escape shelter every January as well. Then onto the brush pile in spring for the critters of all shapes a sizes to use as shelter last year some carolina wrens made a nest in the one I laid on the pile.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Heron

Those secret fishing spots are a closely guarded secret amongst fishermen. I work as a creel clerk in the summers and interview fishermen and measure their catch they always get sketchy when I ask where they caught them. Many vague answers. I always tell them I won't give up their spot BUT I get off at 2 and my rod is in the truck
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Fox

sugarglider ~~X~~ marks the spot

Hey Recurve & Equilibrium, ya the secret fishing hole location should not be told, but it could be sold! hahaha how much would the average fisherman pay for a 'freshly baited secret fishing hole treasure map'...with let say: 5 marked locations?

Those that purchased the treasure map, would definitely have something to talk about... their wild adventures at the lake. I would imagine if ya 'worked it just right' I could get the fisherman to take the chum to the secret fishing holes for me (boat fuel costs yanno).

The underwater structure is enduring, even unto this day if well anchored, but the success is also 'baiting the hole', frequently. I think the fish will hold as long as there is chum in the structure.

They don't hand out the title 'Treasure Map salesman', to just anyone yanno!

funny game ya!

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
Those secret fishing spots are a closely guarded secret amongst fishermen. I work as a creel clerk in the summers and interview fishermen and measure their catch they always get sketchy when I ask where they caught them. Many vague answers. I always tell them I won't give up their spot BUT I get off at 2 and my rod is in the truck
You're baaaaad!

Tags
christmas, collected, habitat, programs, trees, wildlife