Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Forestry’s Waste Wood Offers Habitat for Small Forest-Floor Animals

Forestry’s Waste Wood Offers Habitat for Small Forest-Floor Animals
Released: 10/24/2012 12:00 PM EDT
Source: Allen Press Publishing Services

Forestry?s Waste Wood Offers Habitat for Small Forest-Floor Animals
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Newswise — Journal of Mammalogy – The wood that remains after a tree harvesting operation is often burned to reduce the hazard of fire or is removed for bioenergy production. But another option should be considered—leaving the wood for forest wildlife whose habitat has been disturbed during clear-cut forestry operations. Woody debris on the floor of the forest is essential for maintaining biodiversity and long-term ecosystem productivity.

The Journal of Mammalogy presents a study of coarse woody debris left behind from forestry and salvage harvesting of wood. Researchers tested the...
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I guess this seems like common sense to me, but then again, I have a different goal in mind than that of the industry. At least it is good to hear that they are being encouraged to leave "waste wood".

Even when removing invasives on my property, I've been keenly aware of the changes I'm causing. I've created brush piles to provide shelter after removing multiflora rose and other invasives. Until the native community becomes established, something needs to be offered in the way of shelter. Even afterwards, a brush pile is a welcomed and necessary component.

Here's hoping this catches on...but even more so, I'd like to see selective harvesting catch on.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animals, forestfloor, forestry’s, forestry’s, habitat, offers, small, waste, wood