Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #31
Heron

Seed balls are seeds in a clay mixture. Adding a little compost to can give a microbial innoculant, but too much and they will fall apart.

Let them dry out, and they will be a solid ball for planting.

http://www.wildflower.org/seedgrant/...ivity_2011.pdf
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #32
Lungwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
... I wonder if adding some compost/soil on top of the cardboard under the wood chips would help ...
I was thinking the same thing. You can use triple-shred, which is a mixture of compost and shredded wood chips. I plan on trying this when I lay out a new native forb bed later in the spring. I figure I can then plant in September.
rhauser44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #33
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Pretty much what I had suggested in post #25
The verdict seems to be......Add some soil to your chips

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #34
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm getting impatient as well, Dap, and I've thought about trying this...but haven't done it yet. My experience with cardboard has been that some breaks down fairly quickly (which would probably allow the babies roots to penetrate) and some takes more time. I wonder if adding some compost/soil on top of the cardboard under the wood chips would help get the seeds established?

I will probably be trying this either this spring or in the fall. I just have so many areas I still want to work on and seed is more affordable than plants.
My concern with adding soil is that it might contain weed seeds. Also, I don't want to make it a raised bed. It is such a large area, I doubt I'd have enough compost to cover it all. If you all try it, I'd love to hear your results.

As for seed being more affordable, I agree...but another great benefit is that they provide much more genetic diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauser44 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. You can use triple-shred, which is a mixture of compost and shredded wood chips. I plan on trying this when I lay out a new native forb bed later in the spring. I figure I can then plant in September.
I hope that works out for you.

You have me wondering if I might end up sowing in September as well...perhaps I can sow some in the spring my way, and then spend time preparing some more sections for fall planting. I have so many sections, I expect to do 5hismornijg for at least three years before the whole meadow is finished. By then, the first year's planting will be mature.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
My attempt is to put seed balls into the wood chips. This should be able to germinate seeds in the seed ball and not require a lot of changes to the mulch.
Can you explain more about seed balls, rockerBOO?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
A bed I had created mid Summer by first topping off the grass with cardboard then soil was decayed enough by fall so I could plant plants I had purchased or grown in pots. GO FOR IT!
It is an ongoing project with a lot of land to cover/smother, so, I feel like I can experiment...and, as long as I'm getting something done towards my vision, I will feel productive. It seems that I should be farther along by now than I am. I finally realized I need to direct sow large areas and I've been collecting and creating my own seed mix. Each year I 2ill have more and more seed as the plants mature...so, eventually my meadow will come to pass.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Seed balls? What do you do? Compress a wad of soil with seeds? and set it in the chips?
That is what I was envisioning too--like that thread from way back suggesting that one could throw them, roll them into hard to reach areas.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Seed balls are seeds in a clay mixture. Adding a little compost to can give a microbial innoculant, but too much and they will fall apart.

Let them dry out, and they will be a solid ball for planting.

http://www.wildflower.org/seedgrant/...ivity_2011.pdf
Ok. So, I was picturing it right...what is the benefit in your mind to plant them that way instead of just sowing them directly by scattering them in the traditional way.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Pretty much what I had suggested in post #25
The verdict seems to be......Add some soil to your chips
Hmm...I still have the issue about whether or not the roots will making it through the cardboard barrier.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #40
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Ok. So, I was picturing it right...what is the benefit in your mind to plant them that way instead of just sowing them directly by scattering them in the traditional way.
They can sprout where little to no exposed soil is available or practical. Trying it in the old lawn > meadow transition where I am not removing the lawn grass, so little exposed soil is there.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eastern, meadow, planning