Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Wildlife Gardeners of North America Unite > Habitat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Great Horned Owl

Default Good fern for afternoon sun but morning shade???

I'm thinking of using ferns for a problem area of my garden that gets morning shade but afternoon sun. The sun begins about 1PM and lasts for the remainder of the day, so the fern I'd be looking for would need to tolerate a lot of sun. Is there such a fern? Is it wildlife friendly. Thanks!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

Male fern and Autumn fern are both Dryopteris and are somewhat drought tolerant as well as growing well in sun. Of course I live near the great lakes and the summer heat is just never around for long. But you should be far enough north for some ferns to tolerate sun. Royal fern could be another although it gets really big.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I planted some Christmas fern in an area that gets a good bit more sun than I'm sure it should...and afternoon sun at that . I thought about moving them when I realized how much sun they were actually getting, but after three years, they are both still doing fine, so I guess they will stay.

I'll try to keep an eye on them to see just how long they are in the afternoon sun and get back to you.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Fox

ferns

Hay-scented fern tolerates sun and low moisture. It's native all the way up the east coast. But it does spread vigorously.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
afternoon, autumn fern, drought tolerant, dry soil, dryopteris, fern, fern species, good, male fern, morning, part shade, royal fern, semi-shaded, shade, sun