Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Greenhouses and Coldframes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Wasted space in your greenhouse or warehouse….

Wasted space in your greenhouse or warehouse….
I know we’ve got tens of thousands of empty warehouses dotting Illinois and I think some of us have greenhouses…. if you’ve got one…. you’ve gotta check out what this guy’s doing to provide fresh food to the people of Milwaukee’s inner city and I found out he’s got a daughter starting up the same program in Chicago, Wisconsin Public Television. Supposedly he offers tours for $10. I googled him and found a commercial application for his design, Will Allen's Innovative Aquaculture System Insprires Commercial Application : TreeHugger, “Sweet Water Organics was launched by Steve Lindner and Josh Fraundorf, along with minority partner James Godsil. Construction is just underway but the entrepreneurs can see beyond the noise and dust to their final goal. I found a YouTube on what this guy’s doing, ‘1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost’,
YouTube - 1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres. 10,000 fish 500 yards compost
Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

Wow - that's incredible.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Pretty wild, eh? And here we're sitting on THOUSANDS of empty warehouses in just Illinois alone and I do mean thousands. We have whole industrial complexes that are nothing but ghost towns and for lease and for sale signs every where. I bet it's like this all over the country. I've been thinking a lot about stimulus money and shovel ready and wondering why not???
Old 11-12-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
WG Operations, Facilitator

It's amazing what he's done with so little resources.
Talk about recycle and re-use in a big way!

His aquaponic gardens are truly a continuous loop system. How cool!

If anyone could turn an entire industrial park full of empty warehouses into sustainable gardens, it would be you E!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I don't think so... I've got a job and I'm way too tired filling some little raised veggie beds when I come home to tackle something like that but it'd be way cool if some hot shot entrepeneur tackled it. We'd have fresh fish year round at decent prices since there'd be hardly any transportation costs getting em to the markets. It's a thought anyway since those warehouses aren't doing much of anything and they're just sitting there empty. It'd probably be a good idea for a landlord to give a new start up a year's free rent since they can't take the hit leaving them vacant as write offs for ever. I still think this is one innovative use of old warehouses and I want to go tour what he's got going on some day. That's my idea of a field trip.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equil-
If you take a field trip, please post back here with commentary and maybe photos (if they allow them to be taken).

thanks!

Tags
aquaculture, aquaculture operations, aquaponics, empty warehouses, food, food production, greenhouse, intense gardening, recycle, reuse, space, urban, urban aquaculture, vertical gardening, vertical layering, warehouse, warehouse…, wasted