Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Greenhouses and Coldframes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
WG Facilitator

Default Magic Greenhouse

My head is SPINNING!!!!

Last year I researched growing herbs for restaurants. Was a little discouraged at the probablility that I can make it work while holding a full-time job. Thought I should concentrate my efforts on getting mortgage paid so I could afford to not work full-time. Hubby brought it up again, and thinks I need to go for it.

Ok - my plan, order $200 or so of herb seeds, till garden (it's still 7,000 square feet, otherwise known as 50 beds about 25 feet long) & mulch the walkways, concentrate on keeping weeds under control . . and see where it takes me.

He has other plans. Covered houses with fabric on the sides we can roll up in the summer so the plants don't cook. Possibly 50 ' long. Clear roof, with rafters made so we can insert something for shade - maybe the kind of lattice you see under houses and remove in the winter, for maximum light. Raised beds - we're talking 2 or 2 1/2 feet tall on legs, so I don't have to bend over to harvest or work in the beds. With vermicomposting bins under the beds that roll out.

He asked what I think. Impressive, but it's like hunting for teal with a cannon. His answer- true, but it you hunt teal with a cannon, you KNOW you're gonna get it. If you use a bb gun, you might miss.

Ordered seed. Head still spinning.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Heron

What happened?
How did it turn out?

I was over at Lowes one day and two people came wheeling to the check out - four carts of herbs - buying them.
I had to ask what it the heck they were doing. It turns out they ran a restaurant and they planted huge herb gardens all around it for the effect - I think mostly. The man said - oh and we cook with them too - but the way he said it - I had my doubts.

But starting your own business like that is brave and scary and I would be dazed and confused like those tee shirts that my daughter and her friends use to wear in middle school that was a little out of focus --
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

hmmmm, that description is as fuzzy as my head is right now.

He just drew pictures for me an hour ago. Wanted me to tell him right now what he's doing - 1 house or 5? 50 foot long, or something else? Cypress or aluminum? Cinderblock bases to the beds or aluminum legs.

I told him, I'm ordering seeds, growing plants, working beds, and need your magic green house in place LOOONG before November.

There's no answer now. May be able to do a little research before the seeds come in.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Mine would be spinning too!!! That's moving way too fast for me. Every time I jump into or.... getting rushed into something major..... I end up getting burned. I need time.... usually a coupla years to research and sort things out then research again then sort things out again.... and again... and again and even then I still end up making costly mistakes. I think you've got waaaay more experience than me growing anything that's edible but.... greenhouses are gonna be a whole new ball game. Maybe build just 1 that's only a 25' length that could be extended in the future and see how it goes instead of coming out the gate constructing a complex of 50' greenhouses. And.... I'll come right out and say it.... think really long and really hard before wood is used to frame it. A concrete pad with floor drains might be something to think about down the road. I found out it's REALLY hard ridding ourselves of any ickies and nasties if our greenhouses are built from cedar.... or any other wood or wood composite product and set on anything but concrete.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

Down here cypress is the long-lasting wood. He mentioned cypress and aluminum and wants me to choose. Don't have the info I need for that decision!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I would think that aluminum would be easier to keep clean. Are there ordinances you have to conform to if you are going to sell your herbs commercially? You ought to check before you build, rather than getting surprised later.

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Anodized aluminum is non-porous... cypress isn't.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Anodized aluminum is non-porous... cypress isn't.
Agreeed. But what are you telling me?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Eeeeeesh.... it's your decision but if my husband was giving me a choice... I'd choose aluminum. I had a cedar greenhouse. That's what my husband picked for me. It was more aesthetically appealing... to him and.... to me too. An aluminum framed greenhouse... which is what I have now... is definitely easier to clean and you wouldn't have to coat the supports with anything to keep them from drying out and cracking. The other plus to aluminum for me has been.... there's no where for pests and pathogens to "hole" up.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

Gotcha. That was what I thought of first, but then I thought, what if she's telling me I need something that drains better. . . Not to worry on that part. If we do permanent beds, the bottom will have lotsa holes. And worm beds will be below to catch any runaway dirt.

But today he brought home a Farm Tek catalog and spotted the highly efficient rack systems for pots.

As long as he keeps getting distracted by everything he notices, I have time to do my research. . .

Tags
greenhouse, magic