Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Greenhouses and Coldframes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Aluminum can be wiped down... just like surgical and stainless steel. Floor drains are more of a convenience than anything else. They're 1 of those things that once you've had them.... you wouldn't want to live without them. A concrete pad would be preferable to a gravel or dirt floor in a greenhouse and steel benches would be preferable to wood benches if you ever got pegged with say.... thrips. Every cedar bench I had was given away and I gave away a brand new cedar potting bench too. It was too hard nipping pests and pathogens in the bud with wood anything in the greenhouse. I went with a stainless steel bench system and a galvanized steel potting bench or maybe that's vice versa.
--
I really like Farm Tek. His nose is gonna be stuck in that catalog for a while. They've got some nice products and their support services are really good. I think we got all our intakes and exhausts and fans from them and our back up furnace and come to think of it.... pert near everything for my current greenhouse from them except the swamp cooler and the benches. 1 of their staff engineers spent about an hour with my husband re-calculating something or other for him. They didn't rush him or anything and he appreciated that. My husband's like your husband.... he's no dummy but.... it's not like either 1 of them of them is up to speed on much of anything "greenhouse". If your husband has to call Farm Tek for technical advice.... he'll get it.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
WG Facilitator

I spotted some hydroponics equipment in the catalog. While I'm dreaming, I guess I need to check everything out.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
Fox

Hey BiigBlueyes, is herb dehydrating going to be part of your endeavor? ~~just curious.

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
WG Facilitator

Wildwatcher - I'd consider it. Why do you ask?

Here in the humid gulf, I won't be able to air-dry. I would have to use some method that dries faster - be it the oven, dehydrator, or a drying room. I sample-dried a dehydrator full of curly parsley, to see if the taste was good, or if it tasted like dust, as so many purchased herbs do. The taste was really good and so was the color.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
Fox

PlantInPot

Oh I was just being nosy, trying to figure out what the end product is, that you want to sell.

I guess your going to sell thriving potted herb plants?

Or maybe a bundle of freshly cut herbs?

If there was some herb that didn't sell, don't ya have to dry it to keep the seed and perhaps the spicy leaves?

Perhaps this is a test to figure out which herbs grow well for you & yours?

I guess my questions prove I know nothing about growing herbs, but kind of curious beyond sowing the seed.

ww
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Heron

I dry a lot.
Not big time to sell - which I am not sure who you would sell it too. Marketing has always been my problem.
But I have experimented and it amazes me how much that does well with just hanging upside down.
They dry in my barn hanging in the loft (just to dry - not to store - too dusty) They dry in our metal building - they dry will hanging in my basement (I do have a dehumidifier down there though).
I dried so many esp the lavender that I ran out of room and - well it burns really well!
I see I am building up my supply of burnables again.
Although I am going to see if I can sign up for the farmer's market. I thought I would raise tomatoes this summer and try to get rid of my gourd baskets and a few of the dried flowers?

Oh, and I also raise a bunch of those huge Dill pumpkins every year - I thought I might try to sell those.

Does anyone know about farmer's markets, and how they work?
I know nothing.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
WG Facilitator

Idea # 1 is to grow fresh herbs to sell to restaurants. It would be a good idea to have nice herbs potted up, so that if I have to try to peddle the herbs at a farmer's market, I'll have other goods too. Some sell dried herbs in a canning jar. But I haven't gone on a regular basis to know if she always has dried herbs, or only now and then.

Hanging herbs to dry not a good idea here, unless I want to do it in the back room, which is air conditioned. They'll mold in our humidity if I try to do it in a shed outside. I understand they lose a lot of their flavor that way, but it's still a possibility. They could still be used as garnish and in arrangements and crafts, if not for seasoning.

And for seasoning - I'm not sure where I got the idea, but I could experiment with bundles of dried mixed herbs. They'd be cute, but intended to pop in your stew or soup. Kind of like bouquet-garni in a bouquet instead of a powder.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Heron

Binding them with a rubber band was the best idea I ran across. I was tying them, but they would dry, shrink and fall out of the bundle.

The old timers use to hang them in the loft of the house?
They even dried apples.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Fox

hey biigblueyes, do ya have some progress to report? ~~just curious.

ww
Old 03-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
WG Facilitator

Hubby announced today that although I haven't seen progress, he's working on it. He and his welder have calculated how much pipe he'd need to build a 30 x 100 foot greenhouse. He'll price it and compare it to the greenhouse kits in the FarmTek catalog.

Shade in the summer is a must, even with roll up sides and fans. But there are too many choices when it comes to shadecloth, and I don't know what is best.

Tags
greenhouse, magic