Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Garden Angel

The straw was from some trees I'd lost the fall before, so was about 6 months old. I used it as mulch in a part of my garden, piled on pretty thickly. I parted it, and planted parsley and basil in it, and nothing came up last year, even after repeated plantings totaling the whole seed packet. I was completely surprised, I'd never had a whole package of seed fail, thought it was just bad luck until I happened on what you're calling "pinenes".

When getting things ready this spring, in the same area there's a lot of germination of the old seed.

To directly answer your question, the stuff's only about 1.5 years old now, but was exposed to the elements for the entire time. It was also very "green," as the trees were fallen just 8 months before the needles were used as mulch.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #12
Grub

From what you're saying, I think the pine straw was what delayed the germination. I'm surprised you got germination later though, as I though it would completely prevent it and not just delay it. Maybe it impacts different seed types differently. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGarden View Post
The straw was from some trees I'd lost the fall before, so was about 6 months old. I used it as mulch in a part of my garden, piled on pretty thickly. I parted it, and planted parsley and basil in it, and nothing came up last year, even after repeated plantings totaling the whole seed packet. I was completely surprised, I'd never had a whole package of seed fail, thought it was just bad luck until I happened on what you're calling "pinenes".

When getting things ready this spring, in the same area there's a lot of germination of the old seed.

To directly answer your question, the stuff's only about 1.5 years old now, but was exposed to the elements for the entire time. It was also very "green," as the trees were fallen just 8 months before the needles were used as mulch.

Tags
direct, forest, germination, mulch, mulches, mulching, pine, pinenes, pinestraw, pinestraw bales, pinestraw direct, shipped, straw