Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Garden Angel

greenthumb Bokashi bran

I'm going to start selling Bokashi Bran. I do so with considerable, and I mean considerable, consideration. I feel the product is tremendously useful, and very economical, and a natural "DIY." However, I understand that individuals would like the convenience of the product, without the trouble of making it. I've bought it myself, and SCD (the only one I have direct experience with) is a very fine product, indeed; however, locally, the cost of the product is rendered uncompetitive because of the transportation costs. As many of you know, it's not rocket science to make it, but does take some preparation and effort, and not everyone's up for it.

I believe in the process, and think it's not widely known because the cost is not widely understood. I think everyone should know that this is essentially free.

The major considerations in this effort are two-fold: some one's going to bring it to market, and I can bring it to market with the understanding necessary to educate consumers. Finally, and the real impetus behind this decision, each purchase will directly benefit a local Horticultural Therapy program for children.

Costs will be $5 per gallon (plus shipping), with $3 of each purchase dedicated to the therapy program.

At this point, I've taken 1 order from a local store (50 gallons! woot!), who has supported the process. In consideration of the fact that I won't be able to fulfill orders (their's, or anyone else's) for 5 weeks (have to actually make the stuff to sell) I'll send a gallon to anyone (from WLGs) that agrees to donate 1 hour or $10 to a horticultural therapy program in their locality within 21 days of receipt, with shipping to be reimbursed if over $5 from my pocket. I know you all appreciate the idea of horticultural therapy, and thank you.

If you all hadn't been so excited about this, I would not have been as passionate about it as I am now. Thank you.
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

"with $3 of each purchase dedicated to the therapy program." Clone yourself already will you!!! I'll buy 2 gallons from you as gifts for friends and I'll pay full price plus shipping and I'll still agree to donate myself to a local therapy program. You're a real peach of a human being.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Wow, CincyGarden. I'm impressed. That's a serious project. Cost-wise, it sounds like you're covering your costs and donating most or all of your profit. That tells me it's a project you really believe in.

What do you mean by horticulture therapy? How do I find a local therapy program?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Garden Angel

Thank you both.

@ Equil, re: cloning: I wouldn't have decided to do this without the wonderfully understanding Mrs. CincyGardener, to be sure. She's the real peach, I'm just a nectarine, if that makes any sense. Honestly, this is way out there and I'm not too comfortable doing it, but it makes sense so I have to be. And Eq, I'm blushing that you'd be so kind *blush*.

@ BiigBlue: It's not a tough thing to do, making the stuff. I'm using almost exclusively free stuff ("repurposed") to do it. I'm pretty sure my costs, whatever they are (and I really don't know what they'd be, but they won't be too great), are covered. Whatever comes above will certainly be invested in the process, I'm in the process of figuring out how to form a NFP in Ohio ("Great Circle" is my idea for the name?)

I'm going to ask that the guy who put together the program answer questions on "what do you mean by" and "how to find" because I've made a lot of assumptions along the way, and don't have the details he has. I hate to defer the question of "what do you mean by", but I think I have to rather than answering out of faith. About how to find one, it could be as easy as volunteering with a community gardening group, or with a nursing home, to plant/propogate/grow something.

The emphasis, in this case, would be to explore ways that you could do something like I'm doing to benefit them.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Wildlife Gardeners needs to have an angel award for this undertaking.

How very generous of you to donate such a significant portion of the sale to the therapy program. You truly are a sweetheart.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
WG Staff

An angel wing award for CincyGarden.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
WG Facilitator

ooooohhhhh. The coveted Angel Wing Award!

Well done, Cincygarden!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
Garden Angel

I'm more than honored to be recognized by a group such as yourselves. There are a few reasons I've decided to start selling the stuff. One on the main reasons I've even considered it is the fact that this group was more passionate and vocal about it than I was. This is an idea, that I can do something (or somethings), and you deserve all the credit for being up-front with your own experiments and struggles.

After more consternation than is due (son of an engineer), I have 20 gallons or so available, with 10 or more drying. The logistics of this are daunting to me, part by circumstance and part by inclination.

The mixture is sawdust and charcoal, with EM and molasses. Though it don't smell as sweet, I think it is at least comparable to those made with bran.

I'm going to be selling it as a bulk item. For those interested here, I'll send gallons, but it'll probably be in a recycled bag. Part of my consternation was in packaging, and I feel pretty strongly that this is a bulk-type item. This, in my mind, will be something folks will refill as necessary, in a "handy-to-use" shaker. Finding such a shaker, well, another story. We use, in my home, a re-purposed Kraft parmesan deal (some Italian I am, huh?).

I've been having a heck of a problem getting a label together. Graphic artists, I guess, have a lot on their plates right now and haven't been getting back to me on how to design it. I do want to "brand" this, locally, but I'm not savvy or inclined to make a label. But, apparently, neither is anyone else so inclined. I'm willing to pay for it (in $'s, not bokashi ), so I'm willing to entertain ideas anyone might have.

Thanks, again, for the positive response. I expect this will be a New Year of ridiculous plenty for those predisposed to superstition, and for those that are interested in this fabulous product.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
WG Operations, Facilitator

Hi CincyGarden,

I can help with a label. No cash necessary.

I'll send you a PM.

BooBooBearBecky
Old 01-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

A most worthy endeavor.

Wildlife Gardeners will order two gallons for future Photo of the Month Contest winners. We'll cover shipping and handling to have them mailed direct to contest winners.

We need to arrange payment.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bokashi, bokashi bran, bran