Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Salamander

Default An Upcoming plant sale for MN next year

This winter I have a fun new project, Kim subjested it after I told her I wanted to sell native plants at the farmers market. Make a plant sale in front of our house in St Paul MN.

I'm going to try and properigate the native plants I grow in my yard and sell the seedlings mostly to people in MN. ( don't know if you can legally sell to people out of state/if you can then great.)

Here is the list of plants I will grow from seed

Swamp milkweed

Joe pie weed

White turtle head

Black eyed susans

Butterfly weed

purple cone flower/ NATIVE FURTHER EAST- (note the native to MN ones are still too young to make seed)

milkweeds/have to check for seedpods

wild burgamot

canada cloumbine

Anise hyssop

I was thinking around 3 dollars a plant for pricing.. and maybe having the sale in early June on a weekend.

Spread the word to ALL your gardening friends in MN have them PM me on here if they want either seed from a plant on the list or come to the sale for plants next year. I will gladly give them my email/phone number and address in the PM

Plants that do not get brought will be donated to nature centers or planted in another garden at our other house.

Will keep Wildlife Gardens updated In the offbeat chance I cancel this idea or plans change.

Last edited by TheLorax; 07-13-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
GonativeAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Salamander

UPDATE!!.

Due to the fact money for me is too tight to spend on anything other then needs right now. I have decided to cancel the sale. ( reason being it takes alot to get the seeds ready,pots, soils ect I just dont have money for.

I will still collect and sell seed if anyone is intrested from the plants listed.... let me know?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Money's too tight for you, eh? Been down that road a few times myself. Money's still tight for me but.... it's time that's waaaay tighter than money for me so..... I've got an idea for you.... if you're game. How about I send you 6 containers that I've already poked drain holes in that have lids and are ready to winter sow seeds in then 6 pro trays and 144 little reusable pro-pots to go in the trays that you could plant what ever seeds germinate next spring in and toss in $8 for a bag of grow medium that you'd have to buy locally yourself.... it'd be too exepensive shipping it to you.... and then you propagate your seed and a little bit of some seed I really want a few seedlings from. I'll send you some Monarda didyma seed to propagate. The deal is.... you've got to send me back 3 little pots of M. didyma seedlings if you get any to germinate. This could be a win win because I really want M. didyma and it's always best when you want something really bad to split your seed with somebody else.... just in case... a raccoon tips over a winter sowing tray or who knows what evils can befall seed. You could sell any M. didyma that germinates beyond the 3 for me and I'll even toss in money for postage to send 3 seedlings back to me. BTW.... if none of the seed germinates for you.... don't worry. That happens and you wouldn't owe me anything. Let me know if you're up to the challenge!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Salamander

I'm up for the challenge, as I'd like some of that flower too. We don't get coons here, too developed and besides our yard is fenced in. I'll PM you my address and tell my staff I got something coming in the mail to help me with seeding projects.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Deal!!! I'll start keeping my eye out for a shipping box. The trays are long and narrow and I've been using every box I could get my hands on to layer over grass for a new veggie bed I started so I don't have anything I could ship em in to you at all.... I'm totally wiped out. You'll see what I mean when you get the pro trays and other "goodies".... we're talking oddball size trays that won't fit in standard size boxes. If I can't find anything that's a decent fit in the next month or so.... I'll just put it all in a large box and try to pack it well.
--
You may not have coons but.... God throws curve balls so don't be counting your chickens before they're hatched. Good for me if nothing goes wrong on your end but.... I don't want you getting yourself all worked up if nothing germinates. Things happen and everything I'm sending you is reusable after you wash them good then dip them in a 10% bleach solution so just remember if something goes wrong.... there's always the next year to try again!!! And.... that seed was given to me by 4B so I'm sure there's more where that came from too!!! No getting upset if you screw up now ok>>>>? Everybody makes mistakes and.... nobody can anticipate all that can possibly go wrong.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Salamander

The only problem is I need a sieve to collect and seperate seed from the adult plants. Without that it will be harder to get clean seed, none of my friends have one now, but Nancy (Friend who goes to my day program) subjested I talk to you and to anyone else on here about it.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

You're on your own getting sieves..... I could use a few more different types myself. I used to see them at rummage and garage sales all the time. I stopped seeing em for sale soon as I wanted more for myself.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
Salamander

Thats okay one of our staff says she can get me one from her kitchen. I'm looking forward to getting it. I'm also waiting for seeds to ripen

Tags
collecting seeds, germinate, germination, native plants, plant, sale, seed, seed saving, seed starting, seeds, starting seeds, upcoming, year