Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green .orgs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

butterfly Monarch Teacher Network Summer Schedule 2010

We have finalized a schedule for Monarch Teacher Network's "Teaching and Learning with Monarch Butterflies" workshops. In summer 2010, workshops will be held in more locations than ever. There will be workshops in Florida (Naples), Virginia (Loudoun County), Maryland (Prince George's County), Connecticut (West Harford and Yale University in New haven), Massachusetts (Boston), Illinois (Galesburg), Iowa (Sioux City and Des Moines), Texas (Abilene), Oklahoma ( Tulsa area), New Jersey (New York City area and Philadelphia area) and Washington DC. Marcos Garcia will be on staff at the VA and MD workshops in June.

For workshop dates and more information, visit: EIRC

ALL of these workshops still have openings. We need your help to get the word out. PLEASE talk up the workshops to teachers, naturalists, gardeners and other folks who may be interested.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default Mtn

The Monarch Teacher Network is an amazing group of people! They can teach you how to raise monarchs, how to plant a pollinator garden to attract them and so much more! If you go, you will receive all the materials to make a rearing container for caterpillars and a holding container for adults. You will also receive an entire curriculum full of lesson plans, activities, websites and so much more! What a great way to spend two days with a room full of like minded individuals! If you want more details, drop me a line or visit their site.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

This looks wonderful.

Please everyone, take a moment to view the locations of workshops. There may be one near you.

Quote:
Scheduled Summer Workshops:

June Workshops
[ ] June 14-15: Naples Botanical Garden; Naples, Florida (Collier County)
[ ] June 15-16: Leisure Park Elementary School; Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (Tulsa area)
[ ] June 21-22: Region 14 Education Service Center; Abilene, Texas
[ ] June 23-24: Harper Park Middle School; Leesburg, Virginia (Loudoun County, DC area)
[ ] June 28-29: Parkdale High School; Maryland (Prince Georges County, DC area)

July Workshops:
[ ] July 26-27: Webster Hill School; West Hartford, Connecticut
[ ] July 29-30: The Advent School; Boston, Massachusetts

August Workshops:
[ ] Aug 2-3: Dorothy Pecaut Nature Center; Sioux City, Iowa
[ ] Aug 5-6: Sacred Heart School; West Des Moines, Iowa
[ ] Aug 5-6: Knox Agri-Center; Galesburg, Illinois (Peoria area)
[ ] Aug 11-12: Living Classrooms; Washington DC (Stuart Hobson MS)
[ ] Aug 16-17: William Paterson University; New Jersey (Passaic County, New York City area)
[ ] Aug 17-18: Hartshorn Arboretum (Essex County, New York City area)
[ ] Aug 19-20: EIRC facility; Mullica Hill, New Jersey (Gloucester County, Philadelphia area)
[ ] Aug 19-20: Peabody Museum; Yale University, Connecticut (New Haven Area)

Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
WG Contest Coordinator

DO NOT GO TO ANY OF THESE WORKSHOPS!!!
They will cause you to catch the monarch fever, as of yet there is no cure for this debilitating disease. The symptoms are that you will not be able to drive in a straight line, always stopping on the side of the road collecting eggs or milkweed to feed the numerous caterpillars that you previously collected. You will never be able to leave the house for more than a few seconds for fear of your bazillion caterpillars starving to death even though you have 2 metric tons of milkweed to feed them. Another symptom is the depression felt when they all fly away with out so much as a thank you for all the effort you put into raising them. You will know that you have a severe case of the fever if you are able to spot milkweed on the opposite side of the freeway while driving at 65 mph and will do an illegal u-turn to get to it just to look for eggs. If you go, remember I warned you.
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:49 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Ok.... I won't. But.... only because the closest one is 4 hours away from me otherwise I'd be there with bells on my toes. IL is a very loooooooong state and Peoria is south and west of me. Those workshops look tasty. I wonder so far away from two major cities of Chicago and Milwaukee? Too bad for me.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
WG Contest Coordinator

Mary (bridget1964) will be a trainer at some of those workshops, not sure which ones yet and hopefully I will tag along as well. Worth the drive for sure!
tineckbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, butterflies, butterfly, education, gardeners, learning, monarch, monarch butterfly, monarch teacher network, monarchs, naturalists, network, pollinator, pollinator conservation, pollinator garden, raise monarchs, schedule, summer, teacher, teachers, workshops