Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green Blogs and Websites

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Grub

Default Conservation Gardening

Hello All:
Thank you for welcoming me into your community! I just spent the last two years of my life in grad school for Conservation Biology and completing my thesis entitled Conservation Gardening and Sustainable Landscaping. Now that this is finished and I am allowed out to play again, I have started a blog called Conservation Gardening, located at www.conservationgardening.com

There is also a Facebook page at: Login | Facebook

These sites are designed to encourage all landowners to take responsibility for the health of the environment, conserving natural resources, and create welcoming habitats for wildlife. We can each "give a little back to wildlife" by making healthy choices on our properties.

I am looking forward to participating in the very interesting discussions happening here!
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Oh yay! A new playmate for all of us! I love your blog and your personal outlook on this pickle we're all in. What kind of gardens do you personally have... or did they go by the wayside the last two years?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Grub

Equilibrium:
I personally have very neglected gardens right now. Three years ago I was in a car accident and broke my neck and couldn't do a lot of anything. Then I did some post-bac work (25 years after my original college experience) to get back in the swing of school, and then went to grad school. Although not physically back up to par yet, now that school is finished I simply MUST try to get them back in order.

We did have nesting Chickadees, Titmice, Robins, Wrens, Downy Woodpeckers, Blue Jays, and Cardinals so I'm grateful that they don't mind the chaos! But everything is overgrown and kind of a tangled mess. I don't usually mind messy gardens, in fact I encourage them, but this is out of control.

Thanks for looking at my blog. It's very new and I am trying to transition from thesis speak to normal speak, and also get the hang of all this web stuff......It seems my work is never done.....
Old 07-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #4
Pope

Well, who ever gets all of their work done? It's the quality of what you have done that counts. Although I have not read all of it, I like your blog. It is thoughtful, well written, and carries such an important message. Thank you for putting it together for all to see.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Too Wild To Garden

I'm really looking forward to reading your blog, Carole! Thanks for sharing!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Grub

Thanks for checking out the blog. I'm trying to educate folks that our actions matter, that making healthy choices in our gardens can have a very beneficial impact on the wildlife around us.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Grub

BTW, Stoloniferous, I added your blog to my blogroll. I love your photos! It's quite interesting.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
Too Wild To Garden

Woot! Thank you Carole!
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Ugh... I typed a nice long post and lost the whole darn thing. Time to take a break!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #10
Mentor

Carole, I am glad to hear that you're recovering, however slowly, from such a serious accident. Headed over to read your blog now
midwesternerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conservation, conservationgardening, gardening, gardening for wildlife, sustainable landscaping