Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Green Products and Service Providers > Green Blogs and Websites

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Offical Silphium Abuser

Here's another one. (Most of my books are 250 miles from here, whatever this is isn't in the Audubon tree guide, and I'm having no luck searching online.) This is growing in oak-maple woods in a public park near a creek in Toledo; it is almost the last thing with leaf color.
Attached Thumbnails
A Burning Bush Rant from Rebecca's Window Blogspot-img_1137.jpg   A Burning Bush Rant from Rebecca's Window Blogspot-img_1139.jpg   A Burning Bush Rant from Rebecca's Window Blogspot-img_1142.jpg   A Burning Bush Rant from Rebecca's Window Blogspot-img_1143.jpg  

~http://rebeccas-window.blogspot.com/~
Rebek56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

The fall color reminds me of an Eastern Wahoo. The growth form reminds me of an Eastern Redbud. What little I can see of the leaf veins reminds me of a Dogwood. What little I can see of the drupes sorta reminds me of some plums and Ilex.
--
I scream uncle!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Heron

I think your on the right track with Wahoo EQ. It looks more like Euonymus alatus, Winged Wahoo to me. There maybe some corky wings on some of the larger branches in the second picture.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I screamed uncle.... I couldn't tell what that was from the photos!!! I looked at #2 again and enlarged it and I'm not seeing any corky wings. They're probably there if you're seeing em which means YOU pegged the ID.... I'm just not seeing em even with enlarging her photo. I guess I don't see well enough to see what you're seeing. An alatus growing in shade would have larger leaves and it would not have the brilliant fall color BigHort loves to sell and it would be out of sync retaining leaves with the locally native species just like what she said about it being "the last thing with leaf color" and any corky wings like what you said you saw would be a dead give away. If it has any corky wings... I'd go back and strip it of all those drupes before they dropped then nuke it before its evil spawn starts taking root anywhere.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I screamed uncle.... I couldn't tell what that was from the photos!!! I looked at #2 again and enlarged it and I'm not seeing any corky wings. They're probably there if you're seeing em which means YOU pegged the ID.... I'm just not seeing em even with enlarging her photo. I guess I don't see well enough to see what you're seeing. An alatus growing in shade would have larger leaves and it would not have the brilliant fall color BigHort loves to sell and it would be out of sync retaining leaves with the locally native species just like what she said about it being "the last thing with leaf color" and any corky wings like what you said you saw would be a dead give away. If it has any corky wings... I'd go back and strip it of all those drupes before they dropped then nuke it before its evil spawn starts taking root anywhere.
One thing I've noticed about Euonymus is when it escapes cultivation and starts growing out in the woods it tends to have less dramatic Corky "wingyness" for some reason maybe just because its not being pruned as vigorously as it would be in "captivity"
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Offical Silphium Abuser

Thanks, recurve. My first thought was that it was euonymus alatus, but there were no "wings," and the drupes didn't look right. I just looked at another photo, though, and the remnants of the flowers are there. I may even be seeing a little corkiness in the bark.

I want to use the pictures in another rant on invasives in my blog but needed to be sure of the ID first.
Attached Thumbnails
A Burning Bush Rant from Rebecca's Window Blogspot-img_1140.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Offical Silphium Abuser

Default A Burning Bush Rant from Rebecca's Window Blogspot

Lorax, here's a link to the post. Hope you can follow it. From Rebecca's Window: Beautiful but bad

Old 11-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

If it does turn out to be E. alatus..... are ya gonna go and see if you can get permission to nuke it?
--
I despise burning bushes!!! It seems like all my neighbors have a "set" of them flanking their front doors so the burning bushes across the street "breed" with the burning bushes in the house next to them and those breed with the BBs down the street from them that are breeding with the BBs next door to them and all the baby burning bushes seek out new soil to put down roots and it's seeming like my property is the favorite because I've got the remnant oak savanna.
--
On a positive note.... my understory receives a decent quantity of sunlight so my baby BBs color up that fantastic firey red of Biblical proportions that folk seem to lust for come October.... all the better to spot them and much easier yanking them out of the ground when they're but wee little seedlings!!! I've been getting em before they get a chance to establish and I just lay em out on the driveway to cook on the asphalt and toss em in my composter when they're good and dead. If I forget them and the wind blows em off the driveway.... no biggie. They've been uprooted so dead is dead and they can decompose on their own.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Offical Silphium Abuser

Equil, these bushes are in a 500-acre public park that has an invasive species removal program. Last spring, when I noticed garlic mustard blooming, I popped into the office to ask if it were okay for me to pull them and was told that unauthorized people were not allowed to yank any plants in the park. I suspect if one of the naturalists had been in the office, I could have gotten permission, but instead I let it go.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
Heron

I can almost guarantee you if you go looking for those shrubs in the late winter you'll find that rabbits have girdled them.

I'm surprised the Audubon book didn't have the Eastern Wahoo in it as it's very attractive to cedar wax wings.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogspot, burning, bush, rant, rebecca, window