Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Glumiflorae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #31
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

FYI, today, I planted some of my Schizachyrium scoparium (formerly Andropogon scoparius...as I first knew it years ago when I first fell in love with it). These are the ones I winter sowed this year. I want them in the ground, so they have enough time to become established before winter.

I'm trying it in two different spots for now...and I still have more left.

It has been dry...I didn't even realize until the last couple of days while visiting parks--today, I'm noticing it here...but I watered it well, and we are supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow.

Let's hope this is the first of many that I get established on our two acres.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Warm season grass is designed to germinate in warm soil (same time you'd plant out tomatoes, peppers, corn, soybeans), but the seed on the plant doesn't finish growing till late in the warm season and drops over the winter. So when it drops it doesn't germinate till the next time it warms up. Most warm season grasses are like this, if not all grasses.

To store just put in a bag anywhere out of moisture and heat. If you have stored lawn seed, same thing.
Knowing that, in nature, it would go through the extremes of winter, I would've tried to mimic that--or leave it out in the late winter early spring as I do with the other native seeds I've started.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #33
Heron

Warm season grasses are very slow to germinate the first year. You might be surprised when some pop up later. =)
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
Warm season grasses are very slow to germinate the first year. You might be surprised when some pop up later. =)
I hope I am surprised.

What I planted came in pretty thickly (the plan was to thin them--well, tease them out and plant them up individually, but with thousands of dozens of species of seedlings, it is not going to happen).

With a field of it a couple miles from here, maybe they'll even seed in themselves--not that that will stop me from helping them along.

Tags
bluestem, forbs native forbs, grass, grow, little bluestem, native grasses, plant, planting, prairie dropseed, propagation, schizachyrium, scoparium, scoparium or little, seed, seeds, sow, sowing, winter sowling