Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Glumiflorae

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Heron

Default Do you have a favorite sedge?

I'm curious to know more about sedges and where you use them in your garden. I would like to plant more native sedges and am curious about which ones are the most attractive and useful among your other native plants. I hope some of you will humor me thanks!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Pope

I like sedges but don't have any in my new-to-me place. I used them at a previous home and they did well in shade. That was before I was interested in natives, and I couldn't tell you now what they were. I would certainly be interested in trying them again.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Fox

My favorite is Appalachian Sedge. Not native to Minnesota, sorry! It's beautiful, though. It grew naturally at my last place, here and there along paths in my savannah. I need to find another 'favorite' for my new place in the piedmont.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
My favorite is Appalachian Sedge. Not native to Minnesota, sorry! It's beautiful, though. It grew naturally at my last place, here and there along paths in my savannah. I need to find another 'favorite' for my new place in the piedmont.
Thanks for sharing that! I googled it and it does look like a lovely plant. Did it grow in moist soils at your last place, or more average soils?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Heron

A couple of the sedges I am interested in are Plaintain-leaved Sedge (Carex plantaginea) and Palm Sedge (Carex muskingumensis). oh, and Fox Sedge too (Carex vulpinoidea). Palm Sedge probably requires a more soggy soil than I have in my yard, however. I wonder if anyone here grows these successfully?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
A Bee's Best Friend

The palm sedge - carex muskingumensis does very well in the Lurie Garden here in Chicago. It does not need a soggy soil. regular garden soil is fine. Just keep an eye on it when first planting until it can become established. If in all day sun palm sedge will need a bit more moisture or if you have really long hot dry periods but other wise it should do fine for you.

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

This year.... my favorite is Muskingun Sedge. Another common name for it is Swamp Sedge. I've grown this from seed and found it doesn't need a soggy soil just like what Gloria said but.... this could vary based on the seed source.... provenance will play into what conditions a sedge can or can't take. Mine's happy enough in the shade of oaks and hickories where the soil never really dries out even through the dog days of summer. I've not planted it in a garden setting though so can't comment about whether mine would be "happy" or not with a little extra water.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
The palm sedge - carex muskingumensis does very well in the Lurie Garden here in Chicago. It does not need a soggy soil. regular garden soil is fine. Just keep an eye on it when first planting until it can become established. If in all day sun palm sedge will need a bit more moisture or if you have really long hot dry periods but other wise it should do fine for you.
I am glad to hear that! I think I will give it a try. I have some Blue Lobelia near a birdbath, an area that always gets supplemental water since I need to replenish the birdbath every day. Palm Sedge might look nice in that spot.

Tags
favorite, sedge