Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Garden Art, Décor, and Crafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #81
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I saw a whole flock of flamingos in someones yard the other day so I took a ride yesterday to photo them and they were already gone.
Why do people dislike these so? Don't fit in outside their natural range?
Hmmmmmmmmm I wonder. Are they considered ok then in Florida?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #82
WG Facilitator

The rule on flamingos are - two or three are tacky, but a whole flock - that's a statement.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #83

Some one had fun playing a joke on them. Must cost plenty to carry it that far though.....

Old 08-16-2009, 06:45 AM   #84
Rock Star

Our local high school has a fundraiser called "You've been Flocked".
A whole flock of flamingos appear on your lawn with a "Flocked" sign.
You pay to have someone "flocked", and that person pays to remove it from their lawn and gift it to someone else.
I almost got "flocked" but I have no lawn except for a tiny piece in the backyard and I threatened the potential flocker with dire bodily harm if my garden was damaged.
Result: no flock.

There is a pink house nearby with a permanent flock that is fun to look at.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #85
WG Facilitator

Someone at your local high school is a marketing genius. A pink house seems like a perfect place for a fun flock of flamingos.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #86

Well flee over there and capture a photo for us.........

Old 08-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #87
Garden Angel

My elderly neighbors are filling in their swimming pool. They have about 10 grandkids, and the kids didn't use the pool often enough to go to the trouble. They're getting on in age, too.

J, she just lost her mother (at 104!) about a month ago, and I haven't seen that much of her the last couple of weeks, and when I did see her I was worried. A lot was going on for her.

The pool work is really slow going. We've finally got real heat here, and he's doing a lot of the work himself. He gets around great for 80+ years, so well in fact that he scares my wife. I can only hope to be able to swing a 20lb sledge at his age, really.

The work is going in stages, and has for about a month now. It's gotten hot, and that has slowed things down. They'd both probably wish they'd just had it done by now, but he's getting it done at his pace, and it's probably faster than I would have.

I haven't talked much with J. about the pool, though; she's had other things on her mind. I can only imagine how she feels about it; they've had the pool for 30 years, and 4 generations have played "Marco Polo" in it. They actually disposed of a lot of the kids toys in there; dollhouses, a wagon, a bicycle, some clothes. They'd planned to "fill it in" with that stuff; I can't imagine why they were doing that, but to each his own.

I think they seriously underestimated the volume of material it takes to fill in such a pool. They'd given much of the things away, I suspect; my boys are beneficiaries of a dozen or so tonka trucks, which they cherish.

But, looking into the cavern of the pool, these things looked like the flotsam of memories, strewn on the rocks. I'm sorry to wax poetic on this, but the image will not leave me soon. They were going to bury these things, or what was left of them. That was yesterday morning I saw it, as I was out snapping photos of dead trees. A little later the backhoe showed up, and started breaking up the bulk of the concrete around and filling in. B. followed up with his tractor, dumping dirt with the front loader attachment. J. watched from the window. My boys were transfixed by the activity.

I know she was looking forward to not tending it, but it meant something to her to fill it in, and I was worried about it, in light of recent events. B., too, had a lot of stake in it; one of the first conversations we had was when I caught him putting an electric fence around the oak tree trunk shading the pool; he swears the squirrels increased the yield of acorns, which fell into the pool, so he skirted the tree with an electric fence.

Long post, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that we all express ourselves on many levels. I had a friend who collected mufflers; using a bedframe to plant a "garden bed" reminds me, on many levels, of some of the old farms I've stomped around. Growing up in Appalachia accustoms one to the variety of lives things lead out; in the midst of decay, and often selected for its particular state in that affair, things are pressed into new use. My major difficulty, even now, is to discern the deliberate from the unintentional.

Deliberate use, reuse, or colonization of materials for unintended consequence is one of the things that fascinates me about life, because it is expression in its simplest form. Nature is better at it than we are, but sometimes we come up with a keeper.

This is, beyond a doubt, the most poignant such expressions I've ever seen.

I saw this, and it took a second, but I think they're gonna' be fine.

Show us your Junq'ue art !-p8160043.jpg
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #88
Unicellular Fungi

Awwww. You've captured something special.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #89

All of those things tossed in are probably considered antiques by now.
Can you imagine the surprise someone may get in the future rebuilding on that sight when they dig into this buried treasure trove.
Shovel was a good idea someone came up with. Easier than digging and setting in a pole. Mobile too so the hulls don't pile up in an area killing the grass.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #90

Found on another sight I was visiting.

PINK FLAMINGOS by Tony Beckwith

At the bottom of the garden
under the eaves
near the palm festooned with leaves
two pink flamingos stoop to graze
and pass the time on summer days

They watch the shadows cruising by
and muse on how it feels to fly

I’d join them if I knew the lingo.
Wish I’d learned to speak flamingo!

Tags
antiques, art, arte, crative, creativity, decorations, garden art, garden decor, garden junk, junk, junque, recycle, recycling, show

« Got Scarecrow? | - »