Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Garden Art, Décor, and Crafts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Garden Art?

I've seen sleighs, and I've seen old wagons, butter churns, ball and claw bathtubs and even an old brass bed frame used to add interest to people's properties but this is rather interesting and it has its place. It was at the front entrance to the right of a driveway in my local area. I actually like it. No, I don't care for their choice of plants and it's kind of obvious they aren't into weeding but this was attractive to me in a rustic kind of way.
Attached Thumbnails
Garden Art?-neat-yard-art-idea.jpg  
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Rock Star

I like it too. It has a solid rustic feel and works as a piece of sculpture. Do you know it's original use?
I think it can stand on it's own and I'd just plant around it.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

I have no idea. Someone suggested a large butter churn while somebody else suggested something to do with apple cider. Then every one got slap happy and began suggesting some pretty off the wall uses for this thing. I still like it, what ever its original use was.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Heron

I think it was a laundry device.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

You think so? I'd really love for somebody to tell us all what this is. I brought the photograph back home with me and none of my relatives or old neighbors knew what it was and they're all rural and most are farmers. Could be a laundry device but nobody up where I'm from had money to buy anything specifically to do laundry.

For some reason I am getting this visual of it having been used for pickles.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #6
Heron

Not sure of it's ultimate purpose but from what I see in the pic , it was driven by a motor at some time . That wide flat metal wheel toward the back left hand side of the device was/is the pulley . It would have been attached to a drive of some sort whether it was a line shaft or independant motor . A wide flat belt made of canvas type material or leather would have attached this device to whatever would have propeled it . Those two side spindles/rollers would have turned the barrel revolving the barrel to act as a tumbler . It would be useful to know if there were paddles of some kind on the inside of the barrel as the presence of some kind of paddles as these would act as agiators of sorts . It was not operated by hand , that size of barrel has about 40 gallon capacity if it was stood upright . Tilted on it's side inclined like that with no lid it would be half that . I do not see any side attachments on the outside of the barrel for attaching a lid so I would tender a guess that it was run open .

I realize this does not tell you what it is but that is what I see of it .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Anywhere I could go to find out what the heck this is for sure?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
The Bug Whisperer

Could it have been an improvised mortar mixer??? (A possibility if there is some provision (not visible in the photo) for tilting it forward.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I'm totally at a loss for this. I know brick layers who say they don't think it is a mortar mixer but there looked like there was a way to tilt it forward.

Tags
art, garden