Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes > Game and Other Meat Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Alternate POM Judge

Default deer meat

My neighbor gave me some deer meat. I fried the steak with onions and it was really good. I put a roast in the crockpot and added canned soup, vegetables, and rice. It was good but the deer meat was hard to chew. I ended up putting it in the food processor. Recurve's deer chili called for ground deer meat. I wish mine was ground. Anyone have some good recipes for deer roasts? I thought it would be more tender than it was when I cooked it in the crockpot.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Food processor! My you must have had ground up MUSH. What did you do with it?

Do you have a hand grinder? It takes some time but you could go that route.
If you've plenty, take it to the butcher to be ground. Some butchers however only grind during deer season though as they must sanitize things VERY well before processing anything domestic for the public.

YUP I've had may fair share of hot rubber balls too. Could be the cut, how old the deer was or how long it's been cooked.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #3
Alternate POM Judge

yup I'm eating that mush right now. It tastes good and is a lot better than the alternative....all that chewing. Unfortunately I got rid of my meat grinder. I think if the next roast is tough I'll food processor it again. This time I will cook it separately from the other stuff I will add. What the heck, free food is good when you are living on my pension, I had a deer roast a long time ago that we cooked in one of those oven plastic bags with the seasoning. It was delicious. Not as lucky with this one
Old 01-31-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Heron

The age and sex of the deer can affect the tenderness of the meat as well as how long the meat was allowed to age before being frozen. My buddy got the biggest old gray faced doe either of us had ever seen this year even the backstaps were a little chewy on the old girl. I've been told(but haven't tried it myself) that cooking the tougher roasts in a pressure cooker make them delightful! Good luck
Old 01-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Alternate POM Judge

thanks recurve. Not only have I gotten rid of my meat grinder but I gave away my pressure cooker. Hadn't used them in years. Now I need them. Isn't that the way things work sometimes!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Heron

Probably cooking it in roasts is better for juicy corn fed beef.

Whenever we got Rabbit or Deer from our neighbor it would get cooked a long time in the spaghetti sauce

I remember my Mom getting some Moose from the neighbor too/ He took a helicopter into the Alaskan Tundra to shoot that and we made chili chunks and added it to the pasta sauce also.

We're so used to juicy beef and pork because Corp. Agriculture has been feeding them corn. I imagine grass fed beef would taste much different and a different texture.

Remember all your "Wild" animals are more muscle and very little fat. Any good Sausage maker will add half pork when making venison sausage.

If you cut your "Deer Roast" in little chunks and cook them on a few chopped onions along with some beef broth that's another easy meal.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Heron

Ellen, try this on your tough roasts:

Cut your roasts into large medallions, slicing "across the grain" about 1/2 to1/4 inch thick. Next, lay out your slices on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap (reduces splatters) and give them a good whack or two with a meat tenderizer (you know, the hammer thing). Now try cooking it up in your crock pot.

I'm attaching a favorite venison recipe of mine for the crock pot.
Crockpot Venison Stroganoff.pdf

You could also try a meatloaf with your food processor venison.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
Alternate POM Judge

great tips and recipes. thanks sprucetree and kchd. I don't eat much meat normally. If I do it is chicken and turkey. I like the fact that deer meat is low fat. My protein levels tend to be on the low side so I try to eat some meat. I like the fact that deer live in the wild and have a good life. That's not always the case with the meat you buy in the store.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I like the fact that deer live in the wild and have a good life. That's not always the case with the meat you buy in the store.
Those are my sentiments, as well.

Hope you enjoy the recipe
Old 02-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchd View Post
Ellen, try this on your tough roasts:

Cut your roasts into large medallions, slicing "across the grain" about 1/2 to1/4 inch thick.
Here I thought you were telling her to slice it like that for frying up as in STEAKS!
Now THAT'S the way to go with a good cut but not "quite" that thin.
QUICK fried JUST to the point of loosing it's pink color keeps them nice and tender, Any more than that and they start firming up.
Brown up some mushrooms and onions in a side kettle, add a sprinkling of garlic and chicken bouillon granules and you'll really have something!
A slab of butter to boot (if you're not watching the cholesterol) adds a nice juicy boost of flavor! If you so enjoy good juices.... bake up a batch of dinner rolls to slide across the plate to catch every last tasty slurp.

You know what across the grain means correct when slicing for steak?

If you no longer have your pressure cooker, you can cube, brown and make a stew out of the roast for a no fail kettle of tender vittles. Cook the meat in a broth till almost done, "then" add the veggies for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deer, meat