Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Fruits and Nuts (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/fruits-nuts/)
-   -   Crazy mixed up weather-my poor fruit trees! (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/fruits-nuts/481-crazy-mixed-up-weather-my-poor-fruit-trees.html)

biigblueyes 01-05-2009 05:40 PM

Crazy mixed up weather-my poor fruit trees!

I'm in Coastal Louisiana and our weather has been crazier than usual. We had snow 2 weeks before Christmas - the first real snow (enough to make a snowball) in 20 years! Our weatherman declared we were allowed to say we had a White Christmas "because, folks, this is as close as it's gonna get".

Our weather has been swinging wildly between the 30's and the 80's.

My pear trees had a heavy crop in the summer, breaking some branches from the load, but it bloomed again in the fall, and my Loquat (Japanese Plum) was blooming in December. I just went outside to peek at my yard before the rest of the crew gets home and all quiet is gone for the day. I have about a dozen pears still on the tree, looking fine and I believe the Loquat is making fruit too. Peeking out from under broken banana stalks damaged by the hurricanes earlier this year, I found a bunch of baby bananas.

The worst of our weather is usually February. I'm afraid the fruit will get zapped by the next frost, and the trees not recover in time for the regular spring season. But for today, It was certainly nice to see.

TheLorax 01-06-2009 01:18 AM

A few years in a row now this crazy weather has cost me too. I feel for you.

LadySapphire22 01-06-2009 07:50 PM

What zone are you in? And what variety of pears are those?

biigblueyes 01-06-2009 08:38 PM

I'm in zone 9. The pear tree was here when hubby moved in 20 years ago, and he has no idea.

I'm surprised the pears stayed on after frosts and even our brief snowfall.

doccat5 01-07-2009 01:38 PM

Oh my, I have zone envy. LOL I'm not sure they'd taste so good after that, but many pears have to be picked and then ripened. At least mine are that way. I have 2 Boscs and a Sheckel. Look ugly as anything, but boy are they good eating! So sweet. They're primarily a canning pear, so I do them up that way and also make pear butter and jelly with them. I can't grow the Barlett varieties here, too much trouble with cedar apple rust, but both of those types are highly resistant to a lot of those kind of problems, so that's not an issue.

I'm going to try my hand at grafting from one to the other this year. See if I can get one of the Bosc whips to take on the Schekel. Been a while since I've done any of that, but I figure it's worth a try. :)

biigblueyes 01-07-2009 02:56 PM

I've never tried grafting. Maybe next year. . . .

Equilibrium 01-08-2009 08:54 AM

I know the basics of grafting. You interested? It's not rocket science so don't be afraid of it. Anyone can do this. I taught myself by watching You Tube videos.

biigblueyes 01-08-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 4373)
You interested? . . . .don't be afraid of it.

You bet I'm interested. I ain't skeered!:D

My dad piddled with it a little, and would be soooo impressed if I figured it out on my own (with your help, of course!)

biigblueyes 02-13-2009 09:24 AM

My crazy pear tree is blooming again

1 Attachment(s)
My mixed up pear tree is blooming again. There are a few pears still on the tree from the last time the weather confused it. Oddly enough, the young pear tree a few yards away is still dormant, and didn't bloom last fall when the crazy one did.

Equilibrium 02-14-2009 03:44 PM

"You bet I'm interested. I ain't skeered!" I want to try the stool. Necklace looks doable.
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...p?t=838&page=2