Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Fruits and Nuts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Grub

Question When Do My Hazelnuts Bear?

I planted a sprig about 15 inches high four years ago. It's now 4.5 feet high and no nuts yet.

When do I get nuts???

Donna in Nebraska
buteojamaicensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
A Bee's Best Friend

You said it, does that mean just one. While hazelnuts can self pollinate as they have separate male and female flowers on the same tree, the flowers do not always mature at the same time so miss each other. Two or even three trees would be better.
Generally it can take four to six years for a tree to bear nuts depending on if you have species or hybrid and which ones.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
A Bee's Best Friend

On this website there is a picture of the the difference between the male catkin and the female flower. Read what it says about winter pollination. It is really interesting how plants differ.

http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/instruct/c...hazelnut-1.htm
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
You said it, does that mean just one. While hazelnuts can self pollinate as they have separate male and female flowers on the same tree, the flowers do not always mature at the same time so miss each other. Two or even three trees would be better.
Generally it can take four to six years for a tree to bear nuts depending on if you have species or hybrid and which ones.

Hi Gloria,
I planted three originally. Two were apparently too close to a black walnut tree and died after their second season. The one which is thriving displays those hanging protruberances which come apart in a million little bits. We used to take them apart as kids . . . It's some reproductive part of this plant although I don't know the tekkie term for it. Perhaps catkin describes it. I haven't noticed any flowers on this bush yet.

I have planted three new sprigs as of two weeks ago hoping that the bush will appreciate the company.

Whether it's a hybrid or not is anyone's guess. It was labelled as American Hazel. These latest three were only labelled Hazelnut. (Sheesh. I've got to be more observant.)

Thanks for the info on fruiting. 4-6 years. So I've got another year or two to wait.

Donna in Nebraska
Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
A Bee's Best Friend

Donna, if you have the male catkins(and it sounds like you do) then the females should have been there as well. Pollination takes place very early so the green leafy looking knobs that the nuts form inside of should be showing.
Take a look at some pictures at google image then look over your tree.
If you let them become a bush they will harvest sooner. If kept a single trunk tree a bit longer.

hazelnut flowers - Google Image Search
Old 05-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Grub

Thank you Gloria. I understand this bush better now. It is a multi-stem so ought to fruit sooner.

The male parts are definitely hanging. Hopefully some of the flowers got pollinated and are going to grow into nuts.

The card with the plants said I'd have to be alert in order to get any nuts as the squirrels are mad for hazelnuts.

Donna in Nebraska

Tags
bear, hazelnuts