Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Fruits and Nuts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Which sambucus do you have if you know.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=SANI4
There are three if you look toward the bottom of the above page.

The European Black has become popular. It tends to become a larger plant than our American Black and it suckers more.
The American Black has superior fruits. The fruits from both are high in antioxidants.

Know for sure which elderberry you have. Sambucus racemosa, which looks an awful lot like the others, is poisonous.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

That's REALLY good information to have. It's not racemosa. It's not naturalized/native here, according to the map (wouldn't bet my life on that fact alone-just makes me feel better, that's all) and it has black berries, not red.

European's not naturalized here either, and they grow in the tree lines and are sprouting on their own in my garden.

It looks like the kinds that are naturalized are Sambucus L, Sambucus Nigra L and Sambucus nigra L. ssp. canadensis

Will have to check which one it looks, if I can tell the differences. Judging by the flowers, it's American Black - Yay! I was hoping the native would make good yields. Some of those cultivars are beautiful, but I think you folks are corrupting me. heeheehee

The native in the garden stays and I'll have to go check to see if there are still some on the edge of the property, and baby them - they might get some of doccat's bokashi juice too!
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
Big Fat juicy WORM

They'll thank you for it, if you hit em with some bokashi. Since the microorganisms help unlock the available nutrients for the plants. The plants become much stronger and healthier. Long term, you should see increased production of fruit.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black elderberry, edible, elderberry, red elderberry, sambucus, sambucus canadensis, sambucus cerulea, sambucus racemosa, spp, toxicity