Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Fruits and Nuts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
WG Facilitator

You have a flea market in your attic!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #12
WG Writer

The main amendment that pecans need - at least here - is a zinc supplement that is applied in Februrary. Zinc deficient pecans are shriveled up inside - no good for man nor squirrel. The other problem they have is a borer who drills through the shell and shrivels the nut inside. These seem to attack if they are left on the ground. If you collect the pecans daily - you will have fewer borers in your pecans.

Oh. Yes. There is one other difficulty. There is a group of people who think your pecans are their pecans. You will see them out in your yard picking up your pecans without asking. They carry little cloth sacks in their pockets that they have especially made for this purpose. They will cut your fence to get at your pecans. So don't plant a pecan tree along your fence line - it should be on the interior of your property and it should have a mature pitbull chained to it.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
Unicellular Fungi

What good would a mature pitbull do to deter this behavior? Every mature pitbull I know would help them pocket the pecans and lick their hands while they pocketed them.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
WG Writer

I once hired a guy to work on my house but he wouldn't go under it because he was afraid of snakes. I said, its winter time. The snakes are hibernating this time of year.

He said: The snakes may not know that!

Here pecan pickers are afraid of pit bulls. They do not know they are pussy cats who intimidate their prey by slurping on them. As long as the thieves THINK pit bulls are vicious dogs - you are safe as long as you have one!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
Unicellular Fungi

And what is so intimidating about a mature pitbull tied to a pecan tree that sees a pecan thief then rolls over to get its tummy scratched by them while its tail is still thumping on the ground? How about a perimeter alarm system?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
WG Writer

Default Heh Heh

This is a dogue de bordeaux - He would scare a pecan thief.
Attached Thumbnails
Organic nuts-dogue-de-bordeaux-picture.jpg  
Old 04-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Unicellular Fungi

Sometimes I have to get dressed up to go out with my husband. I would be scared of getting saliva strings on me if I saw that dog.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
WG Writer

See! Scary!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
Heron

Ummm...I'd sure as heck go nowhere near anything with a pit bull tied up to it. Those are some bad dogs. No thanks.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
WG Writer

There is an old saying: its bark is worse than its bite. Its reputation is worse than the dog - pits are actually big slobbery sweeties. Unless they have been mistreated of course - and that would make any dog bad.

Tags
nuts, organic