Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Fruits and Nuts (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/fruits-nuts/)
-   -   Black Walnut (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/fruits-nuts/13056-black-walnut.html)

linrose 05-27-2016 05:55 PM

Black Walnut

Has anyone ever tried Black Walnuts as opposed to the English walnut we usually get in the market? We just got some and they taste so different than the usual walnuts, much more earthy and stronger tasting. I'd hate to try shelling them, we have one big Black Walnut and I know it takes some doing to get to the nutmeat. I'm so used to the English walnut taste so I don't think I'll get the Black Walnut again but they both have Omega 3s and are very good for you.

havalotta 05-27-2016 06:37 PM

Love Love LOVE them!!!

wildwatcher 05-27-2016 07:20 PM

I think the best blueberry cheese cake pie, had black walnut crust...and I guess it was the best I ever tried. There are lots of black walnut growing in this area, but the locals keep them cleaned up pretty well, I have not even one tree of that type on my place tho. haha

ww

dapjwy 05-27-2016 09:31 PM

I have great memories of my dad cracking them open with a hammer on a concrete floor...and sharing them with me and my brother and sisters.

Yes, they are an aquired taste, but I do like the taste for the most part.

jack 05-28-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 156158)
I have great memories of my dad cracking them open with a hammer on a concrete floor...and sharing them with me and my brother and sisters.

Yes, they are an aquired taste, but I do like the taste for the most part.

How did your dad remove the thorny cover, Dap? I have a mature Black Walnut in my yard, but the nuts themselves are difficult to handle, as they will "sting" you if you're not careful

havalotta 05-28-2016 10:05 AM

Black walnuts have a heavy, somewhat roughish, smooth green shell.
You must be thinking of the CHESTNUTS! Their shells are prickly.

havalotta 05-28-2016 10:13 AM

After gathering the black walnuts from the ground...
I set them upon old oven racks to dry and then into a bucket or pail till I wish to indulge.
If you just put them into pails they may develop undesirable molds.
They keep for MANY years once dried proper.

Some say to dry the nuts outdoors but if you do.....
You MUST set them inside a barrier or the squirrels will haul them off, bury them for stash and come Spring,
you'll be finding all kinds of little saplings sprouting.

havalotta 05-28-2016 10:18 AM

Once dried... I put on a pair of rubber gloves (To keep their natural rich dark dye from staining my fingers) to whack off their outer covering with a hammer upon the cement walk. I then go on to smacking the shells themselves open to retrieve their bounty. YUMMMMMM

Some also say....
Instead of wearing rubber gloves to keep from staining, you should crack the outer shells free underwater but I found that to be untrue!

NEWisc 05-29-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 156162)
After gathering the black walnuts from the ground...
I set them upon old oven racks to dry and then into a bucket or pail till I wish to indulge.
If you just put them into pails they may develop undesirable molds.
They keep for MANY years once dried proper.

Some say to dry the nuts outdoors but if you do.....
You MUST set them inside a barrier or the squirrels will haul them off, bury them for stash and come Spring,
you'll be finding all kinds of little saplings sprouting.

Does the flavor of the nuts change much after they have been stored for several months?

jack 05-30-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 156161)
Black walnuts have a heavy, somewhat roughish, smooth green shell.
You must be thinking of the CHESTNUTS! Their shells are prickly.

Yes. I was!!! I do have a black walnut and a mix Chinese/American chestnut!!

My error... but I still am never successful opening the walnuts! They're as hard as granite!!!