Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default ads visible

For the last 2 days before I was logged in ads (text only) were visible in the body of the 1st post. This happens when I use the email link to the site notifying me there is a new post in a thread I'm watching.
When I logged in outside that link the ads disappear.
They are still visible today.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I thought we were suppose to be add free! Sounds like someone found a way to sneak them in.
I "stay" logged in so I have not witnessed it, but others will....Perhaps you should inform the site through the "Contact us" above?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

Placement of ads on our website was discussed as a means by which to generate much needed revenue. We do have operational costs. Although $15 to $20 in ad income would have been most helpful paying our monthly bills, we determined them inappropriate for our community. We believed then as we do now that syndicated ads are in conflict with all that we stand for. That would include text only ads.

We have never authorized third party ads. May I ask where you are seeing these ads?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #4

I just went in on hubbies side of the computer and jumped in as an" unknown" to see if any popped into view. (I didn't actually LOG in) as Will-o had stated seeing the adds "previous" to a log in. I could view the basics of the sight....No adds showing. Hmmm Guess you'll have to wait for Will-O

LORAX Are they working in the photo area on the site this week? I can't upload any of mine as they are... It's saying they are now too big!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

We are doing all that is humanly possible addressing known issues. We are aware there are problems with photos.

Repairing our albums was our first priority. Evidently photos were negatively impacted when doing so. We ask for your patience while we attempt to fix them.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #6

Thanks...I figured they may be working on things again. It's nice to know someone's working for the good of all in the background.
So much upkeep in everyting...Sigh

Old 09-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Rock Star

I just checked again and if I click on the link that is sent by email to notify me there is a new post on a thread I subscribe to 3 or lines of ads are present right after the text in the 1st post. It also has arrows to click on that says more ad choices.
The ad text is blue and black lettering.
It doesn't matter what thread it is, they they all have the ads in the same spot.

Does anyone else get email notification of a thread and then click on the link to get to this site?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #8

The only time I receive e-mail notification is when I have a "new" private message to read.
I disabled receiving E-mails whenever there's new posts.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
I just checked again and if I click on the link that is sent by email to notify me there is a new post on a thread I subscribe to 3 or lines of ads are present right after the text in the 1st post. It also has arrows to click on that says more ad choices.
The ad text is blue and black lettering.
It doesn't matter what thread it is, they they all have the ads in the same spot.
I've noticed this too. It can occur even if an email link is not used. I rarely use the IE browser, so it is not set up for automatic log-in; I see the ads every time I use it. The ads are present in the first post of every thread page.

We're not sure why this is happening. It could be an unintended consequence of the host change, one of us clicking the wrong box in the setup area, or one of those proverbial computer gremlins. This kind of thing can be difficult when it comes to nailing down the problem/solution.

Fixing this problem is on our 'to do' list. It is especially aggravating for us since we would never agree to promote some of those companies, they are counter to everything WG stands for. Right now though we have a lot more things on our plates than we can handle with the time we have available. We will get to it, but it may take awhile.

Fortunately, for the time being, just logging-in should eliminate the ads for our members. Please let us know if anyone is seeing ads after logging-in.

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Although I do get some e-mail notifications, I have been logging in (stay logged on so it is automatic when I open the site), and I've not seen any ads.

I'd also like to say something positive about photos: My photo albums hadn't been working for several months but seem to be working well NOW! (Before there was that little box with an X where the photo should be. Now there is a photo to link to each album (as it was before). So, among any other issues, some good things are happening.

I'm hoping the transition to a new host goes smoothly for all of you working behind the scenes. I'd not have known it had happened had I not seen one or two messages indicating so.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ads, visible