Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #31
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

a while ago, i started a thread about baidu spiders, a chinese search bot
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #32
Unicellular Fungi

We have been inundated with thousands of new members. It began in December. Some are bots attempting to register, some are human assisted bots that are able to successfully register, many are humans who are paid nominal fees to register for the purpose of placing ads on websites. Few are legitimate registrations.

Each new registrant must be reviewed and researched. We have recieved more registrations in the last month than we have in all prior months dating back to our inception. There are no signs of this slowing. (sigh) As fast as we research a block for legitimate new members, the account is filled again. It has been challenging to say the least in these hard times.

Spammers are becoming more sophisticated. They test the waters by posting in several forums. Their goal is to build a repore with existing members before copying the text to their ad into a new or existing thread. A premium is paid for supporting posts and an additional premium is paid for placement of an ad in high profile regions of a forum. When a target thread or post fails to appear, the spammer-for-hire is not in a position to provide job completion documentation to the contract employer. In these hard times we are seeing registrations from housewives to those who have recently joined the ranks of the unemployed. They are very real humans who are paid to drive traffic to an employer's products and services. How they do so is at their discretion. Most copy text to an ad into an existing thread however we are experiencing a new breed coming in through a back door by enticing members to visit their personal websites and blogs where their contract employer's products and services are conveniently displayed.

We also have issues with other types of bots. There is a global warming denier chatbox bot appearing. It appears to have artificial intelligence capable of seeking out and attacking Christians. The bot's database is currently being accessed by humans. It is extremely difficult to detect due to the fact that it is no longer a bot but a small army of AGW believers and intolerant atheists. Their tactics are beyond destructive. It appears their intent is to destroy communities that allow Christians and climate change skeptics. They enjoy success once they enter a forum because unsuspecting members have no inkling they are debating with an electronic library. We currently lock or delete threads that contain words or phrases that attract them.

Please know that if we do not reply to inquiries in a timely manner it is not because we do not care, it is because we are doing what we can atempting to stay one step ahead of them for our members.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
We have been inundated...

Please know that if we do not reply to inquiries in a timely manner it is not because we do not care, it is because we are doing what we can atempting to stay one step ahead of them for our members.
TheLorax,

Thank you and everyone else working behind the scenes...whatever you are doing it seems to be working--at least for the time being. ~sigh~ So sorry that you all have to deal with all of that just to keep our beloved site running smoothly.

~hugs~

David
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #34
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Holy Crap! You should get paid, Lorax! That is horrible! Thank you for all that you do for all of us here at WG. Your work is greatly appreciated.
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Holy Crap! You should get paid, Lorax! That is horrible! Thank you for all that you do for all of us here at WG. Your work is greatly appreciated.
This is obviously something you all care deeply about--a labor of love, but, I agree with bridget, you should get paid!

Many thanks to all who are involved in the creation and maintainence of this wonderful place that allows like minded people to learn, discuss, and promote something that is so important to us as well as those other life forms with which we share the planet. You are doing more than you know!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #36
Fox

At the risk of being ostracized, it sounds like the vision of the founders has turned sour due to external conditions. The battle may not be worth fighting, although I share sentiments that this is a site with much value.

I'm wondering if you might be able to let 'those who get paid' do your battle for you. Suppose membership registration was channeled through the Wildlife Gardeners Facebook group? I know some folks are leery of Facebook, but it would make an effective filter, and they could always drop out of Facebook after getting WG membership.
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by benj1 View Post
At the risk of being ostracized, it sounds like the vision of the founders has turned sour due to external conditions. The battle may not be worth fighting, although I share sentiments that this is a site with much value.

I'm wondering if you might be able to let 'those who get paid' do your battle for you. Suppose membership registration was channeled through the Wildlife Gardeners Facebook group? I know some folks are leery of Facebook, but it would make an effective filter, and they could always drop out of Facebook after getting WG membership.
I hope no one would ostracize you for sharing an opinion and offering a suggestion.

I also hope that it is not the case. I hope the vision remains strong and they can get past the frustrations caused by the external conditions. I've been wanting to start a thread about a magazine that I subscribed to, what happened there, and how it relates to this site. Maybe I'll start it soon and link to it from here.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM   #38
Unicellular Fungi

Of course there will be no ostracization. We are human. Although the vision remains strong, we have serious concerns regarding our ability to continue managing the external forces ourselves.

There are members who have been here for you working behind the scenes. They deserve your accolades. Without them, WIldlife Gardeners would have been long gone.

The members are Biigblueyes, BooBooBearBecky, Cirsium, Staff, and WG Admin.

Not one of these members is paid.
The only paid member Wildlife Gardeners has is Popowich.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #39
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

And,you, Lorax! Thanks to each and every one of you! I don't see how you can continue having a life carrying this burden.
This will not be good to hear, but my son who is NYC IT Security, says all the big banks are REactive, not PROactive in in security issues. In other words, the bad guys are always one step ahead of you. Really more than one but....
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
Unicellular Fungi

Please ask your son if he has any advice for us.

We all have full time jobs that afford us the luxury of being in a position to help Wildlife Gardeners. This truly has become a labor of love for us.

Tags
administration, bots, busy, error, error message, errors, meaning, message, problem, problems, server, server busy, servie problems, spam