Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Forum Feedback (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/forum-feedback/)
-   -   How to Use the Quote Feature (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/forum-feedback/713-how-use-quote-feature.html)

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 02:46 PM

How to Use the Quote Feature

In many threads it becomes difficult after a point to tell who is speaking to whom. There is a tool to help with this problem! Notice, when you reply to someone, that there is a button to the bottom and right of the text that you wish to reply to. Let me demonstrate. . .

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoloniferous (Post 6465)
In many threads it becomes difficult after a point to tell who is speaking to whom. There is a tool to help with this problem! Notice, when you reply to someone, that there is a button to the bottom and right of the text that you wish to reply to. Let me demonstrate. . .

There. When you press the button, it puts the entire block of text in between a pair of tags that, once posted, cause the text to be drawn up in a tidy box!

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoloniferous (Post 6466)
. . .a tidy box!

You can also edit down the contents of the quoted text so that it takes up less room, or gets to the point. When doing this, it is polite to use ". . ." to indicate that a part of the text has been left out.

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoloniferous (Post 6467)
You can also edit . . .

Quote:

. . .takes up less room. . .

Quote:

. . .text has been left out.

You can use as many quote boxes in one post as you like!

hazelnut 01-25-2009 02:52 PM

a tidy box? sounds like those two British women who clean up people with messy houses!

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
Blah blah bla?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick
Oh yes, blah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry
:D:D:D

With the help of a word processor, you can copy and paste quotes from multiple people into a single post. You can even quote smilies!

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 6470)
a tidy box? sounds like those two British women who clean up people with messy houses!

Haha! :D Thanks

Anyway, feel free to use this thread to test out the quote feature. Cheers!

hazelnut 01-25-2009 02:56 PM

the main problem I have is getting back to where the quote goes. copy url, back to WLG, then back to url to copy quote and then what?

Equilibrium 01-25-2009 02:58 PM

I'm lost. Can't we just use " and "? I don't see where smilies come from.

Stoloniferous 01-25-2009 03:05 PM

"I'm lost. Can't we just use " and "?"

Sure, you can just type in quotes if you want to. But the option to quote just by pushing a button is there as well.

(The real confusion arises when someone just types in a reply to something posted five posts earlier without any sort of quote.)

"I don't see where smilies come from."

When you start to type your reply, look just to the right of the typing field. If you have smilies enabled, you will see a collection of silly little faces like this: :p ;) :o. Click on one to add it. Viola!