Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
WG Staff

Default Anyone interested in a contest to add photos of invasives?

We could run it through to next fall and think of something appropriate to give to the member who starts the most threads with photos of species formally identified as being either an invasive species or a noxious weed. This would be a really great way for us to jumpstart our future WG Plants Database as well as a great way to expose newcomers to invasives.

Thank you Equilibrium for sharing your photos by starting threads. You provided us with the idea of considering a contest.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Too Wild To Garden

You know, I was just thinking that next summer I would love to get a photo of the square mile of purple loosestrife that I see on the Charles river on my commute. It's beautiful, in a horrific way.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Heron

You might as well award the prize now , Equil will win hands down .
lonediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

I'd be interested. I wouldn't be upset if you guys knocked out what I've submitted to date.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

I'll try. Lord knows I have enough of them.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Grub

Excellent idea! Yes, finally, a place to "smile" when you look at invasive plants plus you can see how well you can identify. Hmmmm, maybe sneaking into an offending nursery...Also, maybe pictures will show what's considered invasive in one area of the country, but not another. My favorite site here in NH is a nearby city where almost all the landscaping is Japanese barberry, euonymous alatus, Norway maple, privet, you name an indestructable plant, they bought it. Fortunately purple loosestrife isn't too advanced here. One town bought the purple loosestrife bugs and they did a great job. When is the contest beginning?

Last edited by trout lily; 01-27-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a question
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Administrator

We'll run it from February 1st on through the entire month of October.

This is not a non-natives photo contest. The plant has to be an invasive species/noxious weed or on a current list to be approved for hall of shame classification.

Post your photos in the Invasive Flora forum. If a thread does not exist for the species you have photographed you will need to start one.
http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...splay.php?f=64

We'll figure out what the winner will receive at a later date.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Grub

Devil's advocate here: one person's invasive is another person's joy. To wit: some birders like Russian olive because they say it provides food for birds in areas where food is scarce. This isn't my argument at all. Just double checking: if a plant is on a legitimate invasive plants list, like state, national, NPS, TNC, etc., it's fair game to post a picture of it in "The Shame Hall of Fame"?
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
if a plant is on a legitimate invasive plants list, like state, national, NPS, TNC, etc., it's fair game to post a picture of it in "The Shame Hall of Fame"?
Fair Game.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
WG Staff

Quote:
some birders like Russian olive because they say it provides food for birds in areas where food is scarce.
They can attempt to sanction their fondness for the species anyway they want but I don't believe there to exist any science supporting such a misguided statement. Failure to control, manage, and eradicate Elaeagnus angustifolia when bird species diversity is documented as being greater in areas dominated by native vegetation doesn't constitute being a good steward to the earth.

Start a thread for it trout lily!

Tags
add, contest, interested, invasives, photos