Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Forum Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #31
Unicellular Fungi

I agree with trout lily.

Fortunately, I do not believe anyone disagrees that our climate is not changing. On that, there is an undeniable consensus amongst disciplines and amongst all of us.

Where the disagreement stems from would be which factors and what percentages are responsible for the change. Theories of human contributions appear flawed to me. The number of skeptics seems to grow daily however I don't really care any longer. Personally, I am equally concerned about methane emissions as I am with CO2 emissions.

Rather than debating who is in which camp and why, seems logical to me to agree to disagree and move forward reducing our dependencies on fossil fuels, reducing our dependencies on chemicals, and doing what ever is in our power to reduce the carbon footprints we're going to leave behind when we die. I strongly suspect all members of a site like this realize it’s the direction we need to go. We seem to have one big fat mess on our hands and getting hung up on finger pointing isn't getting us anywhere.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #32
Grub

So true. Based on my education and experience, I get asked frequently if I believe global warming is real. My short answer is usually that it doesn't really matter if it is or isn't. If it is and we do nothing, we are probably toast. :eek: Waiting too long to determine if it is or isn't could easily put us past the point of no return. An analogy I use is from what I was taught many years ago: if you put an airplane into a dive, there is a certain speed you can reach in which the center of gravity will move rearward to such a point that the airplane can no longer be pulled out of that dive and will end up being a smoking hole in the ground (or breaking apart prior to that). May not be the best analogy, but it was the best I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Rather than debating who is in which camp and why, seems logical to me to agree to disagree and move forward reducing our dependencies on fossil fuels, reducing our dependencies on chemicals, and doing what ever is in our power to reduce the carbon footprints we're going to leave behind when we die. I strongly suspect all members of a site like this realize it’s the direction we need to go. We seem to have one big fat mess on our hands and getting hung up on finger pointing isn't getting us anywhere.
PineStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #33
Unicellular Fungi

What do you think about methane emissions? Scary.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #34
Heron

Gardenweb has a "hot topics" forum. that is the only place on that website that religious/political speech is permitted. I think it's a good thing. And it's always a good read, IMO.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #35
WG Facilitator

My hubby works at a sweet potato plant. As you may guess, decomposing sweet potatoes are very gassy and very smelly. The entire plant works on steam and lots of it. To control the smell, the discharge water goes into a series of open and covered ponds, and then the purified water is sprayed over fields to fertilize grass, which is then baled and hauled away. When the covered ponds create excess methane gas and the covers balloon to the point you'd think they're about to burst, the gas is piped to a flare to get rid of it. It has reduced complaints from neighbors about the smell tremendously. They decided to try their hand at piping the methane gas to the plant to run one of the boilers. The problems they ran into were minor and easily adjusted. They have two more boilers set up to be able to run on the methane gas next season. But they estimate they saved $50,000 in one year, from one boiler. That's a lot of methane gas that didn't go into the atmosphere, and a lot of natural gas that wasn't taken out of the ground and burned.

That's one food cannery in one little county town that found a way to make a difference while solving a problem.

No matter what's causing the problems, we can all be part of the solution.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #36
Grub

That setup is becoming very popular at landfills as well. Many flare it, but some are using it to produce power.
PineStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #37
The Bug Whisperer

I’ve attached (I hope) a full face photo taken about two years ago, celebrating a third-place finish in a Texas Hold‘em tournament. Additionally, there is an ‘elf’ picture (taken ca. 1990) that can be seen at http://tinyurl.com/dj8emc; it is NOT appropriate for posting on this forum! Finally, I now have a screaming yellow zonker cave suit with black trim - I tore up the blue one beyond repair during the trip shown in the avatar photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Political Posts-otr2006-nickbyrnes-134.jpg  
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #38
WG Staff

Alright, explain yourself. What is a Texas Hold‘em tournament?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #39
WG Writer

Is it like a greased-pig contest?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #40
Official Plant Nerd

I can't find the inappropriate photo. Can't you direct link it. I can't be the only one who wants to see bearded men in tights.

Tags
political, posts